Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate some help with this and have seen similar threads, but am just not competent to sort this out on my own.

Windows Explorer is no longer reading my camera card. It either fails to respond or just loads the thumbnail icon and then seems to stop, although a couple of times I left it for around 30 minutes and most of the 70 thumbnails had opened, so I'm not completely sure if it's stopped or if it's just so slow the computer thinks it's not working.

It will open them once they are in a folder on the PC and I can transfer them using the Nikon software otherwise I'd have a useless camera!

I'm also getting quite a few "Internet Explorer is not responding messages", and after downloading version 8 went back to version 7 but it's still happening.

I've tried all the different usb slots and different cards with the same reults, so I don't think it's either the card or the usb slots. My other usb devices (modem, mouse etc.) seem to be O.K.

I thought this might be a memory problem so added an extra 1gb. of RAM - it's now 1.5gb instead of 0.5gb. I didn't alter any other settings.

I think when I did this I lost all my restore points.

I've run CC Cleaner, Adaware, Norton, and Malwarebytes after reading these forums hoping to find a virus but all seem O.K.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3 - it's on a recovery partition, I don't have a disc.
It's an HP Pavilion a1215.uk PC, with a 3.20 gigahertz Intel Processor About 2.5 years old.
16 kilobyte primamry memory cache.
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache.

I'm running Norton Antivirus 2009 and Ad-Aware.

Any help aimed at a guy with very little understanding of PC's would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
the card is ok cause the camera reads it.
the port is ok cause the camera connects ok.
the problem could be the card adapter.
u didn't day what size the cards are.
If they are over 2GB u might have an adapter that isn't HC compatible.
those will do strange things right up to not working at all.
if it says it is HC compatible one must not necessarily believe that - I know from experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I should have said that I have tried the card and adaptor on another PC and they load with no problem. It is an 8gb HCSD card and I did get a couple of adaptors thinking that might be the problem. Windows Explorer will index the files as a list view but then says file not found if you try to open it. In thumbnail view it typically opens one or two of the thumbnails and then just stops.

·
Registered
178 Posts
are the two PCs different OSs? Technically, that should not be a problem. But it is windoz!

Some USB ports are low power some will go to a full 500ma.
That could be an issue. If u can't find the spec on ur computer, try a powered adapter.

I haven't run into any other issues with HC cards. Once the data makes it to the connector, windows should not see any difference between HC and non-HC other than the amt of data.

U might want to verify that it is formatted FAT32. rt clk and look under properties. 8GB really has to be. I guess if it were not the situation would be a lot worse.
but 2GB are usually formatted FAT. I just got 6 that were.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply. No - the two PCs are both Windows XP service pack 3, although the old one where windows explorer is still working is 6 or 7 years old and a lower spec. It's actually an old PC which I rarely turn on and it makes me think that something has happened to this one. When I first got the camera in March this wasn't a problem - this is something that has started happening in the last couple of months. I've checked the card and you're right, it does show as FAT32.

·
Registered
178 Posts
if u have a smaller card, try it.

it may draw enough less power to make it work ok.

I'm thinking it is an old spec USB port and power is the issue.

........... although I may have forgotten how slow USB1 was. but it sounds like it isn't slow it is stopped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but it's the old lower spec PC where it still works as normal and just the new one which has started to fail to load them. I've just tried it with a 1 gb usb stick containing photos from an older camera which aren't such big files. It's taken 3 minutes to open 148 thumbnails totalling 178mb. It's getting there in the end with smaller files, but used to open them straight away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Have turned off Norton and Ad-Aware and tried again. It did load the files. A few opened very quickly and then it seemd to stop, but they eventually loaded after about 20 minutes. I don't think it's really made a difference. On my old PC the same files all loaded syeadily within 10 - 15 seconds.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK
Hardware wise it is working.
the drivers are working.

the only possibility I can see is either a high error rate, a virus, or an anti-virus problem.

A high error rate should eventually give u an error.

u ran AV and u shut off AV. its possible u missed something.

try this.
clean off ur card - save files, delete them, etc.
reformat the card fat32 - do a complete format, not quick
run check disk on it.
copy some of the files back to the root folder.
repeat ur reading test.

let me know the result

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel sure it's not the card. I copied the files on the card to a usb pen drive which I know works. I've tried the usb pen drive with the same files on it and it has exactly the same problem as the card does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is a little of the techno about SD cards. I assume something similar works for USB sticks. It is a serial interface. So it is in the software/driver, unless of course nothing seems to work in ur USB port. U might try looking for a newer driver for that USB port. otherwise I am out of ideas.

========================================

Devices that use SD cards identify the card by requesting a 128-bit identification string from the card. For standard-capacity SD cards, 12 of the bits are used to identify the number of memory clusters (ranging from 1 to 4096) and 3 of the bits are used to identify the number of blocks per cluster (which decode to 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 or 512 blocks per cluster).
In older 1.x implementations the standard capacity block was exactly 512 bytes. This gives 4096 x 512 x 512 = 1 gigabyte of storage memory. A later revision of the 1.x standard allowed a 4-bit field to indicate 1024 or 2048 bytes per block instead, yielding more than 1 gigabyte of memory storage. Devices designed before this change may incorrectly identify such cards, usually by misidentifying a card with lower capacity than is the case by assuming 512 bytes per block rather than 1024 or 2048.
For the new SDHC high capacity card (2.0) implementation, 22 bits of the identification string are used to indicate the memory size in increments of 512 KBytes. Currently 16 of the 22 bits are allowed to be used, giving a maximum size of 32 GB. All SDHC 4-GB and larger cards must be 2.0 implementations. Two bits that were previously reserved and fixed at 0 are now used for identifying the type of card, 0=standard, 1=HC, 2=reserved, 3=reserved. Non-HC devices are not programmed to read this code and therefore cannot correctly read the identification of the card.
All SDHC readers work with standard SD cards.[15]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much for your help. I think you could be right about the driver for the usb port. I've just plugged the usb stick into the same front port as I did earlier and got an error message to say the device has malfunctioned and needs a new driver. I've then plugged the same stick into a rear usb port and explorer is reading it, although at the same very slow rate as before. So I wonder if the drivers for the usb hub have got corrupted somehow?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi ruggb. As usual I've spent loads of time today messing around with different things to try and make some progress with this. I've got 8 usb ports on this PC and a card reader which doesn't take SDHC cards which is why I had to buy a card reader. I've right clicked all the usb items in device manager and it tells me all the drivers are up to date. I started to think about what you'd said about not enough power and for a start unplugged all my usb connections - modem, printer, microsoft intellimouse, webcam, external drive. With nothing else connected and no programs opened tried both the SDHC card and the usb stick with the large images on and explorer loaded exactly as it should do!!!!! Phew!! I've now connected the modem, still working, the mouse, still working, and the printer. It's when the HP Laserjet printer is connected to a usb port and turned on that explorer stops working. So it looks to me as though that's where the problem is. I suppose there is either a conflict or the printer even in standy mode is tipping the balance on the power to the usb ports. Whatever the reason it's not a great hardship to keep the printer turned off until I need to use it, which isn't that often. I suppose I'll probably uninstall it and re-install it to see if that fixes the problem. However it ends up, you set me on the right track to sort things out, so thank you very much for taking an interest and helping resolve the problem. The bottom line is that I can now get explorer to read the card and usb stick and will look at the printer as being the problem. Many thanks for your time and your help. Regards, Richard.

·
Registered
178 Posts
thanks Rich
ur welcome.
u can look at the power being drawn on each port in device manager.
each port is separate and some will not supply the max 500ma.
in the USB1 days they did not even supply that much which is why there are powered port hubs.

It might be that it is just the printer driver causing Windowz to spend a lot of time trying to talk to the printer and not really a power issue.

At least u know where to look now.

bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.