Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After using an uninstaller left hand pane of windows explorer is grayed out with just an x in top right corner. Ability to navigate by tree structure is lost from left pane although I can from the right but its messy and nowhere near as easy as the ability to see the tree structure.

I've seen an earlier thread (aug 01 trayger) where there is a link to microsoft support page (Q192315) "All folders" pane missing or windows explorer is blank which gives details of a registry hack cure. I'm not quite sure whether my problem is identical so I'm reluctant just to go ahead and try it. (I've also tried the other suggestion on that page of clicking in the right pane ctrl and tapping numeric key pad but that doesn't work)

Can anybody help? thanks

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It won't hurt anything at all to remove that value. For insurance before you enter the registry, go to Start >run and type
regedit /e reg.reg and press enter.
thatnwill place a full copy of the registry on your desktop named reg.reg

If you delete something by accident, double click on reg.reg to put it back where it was before you started

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mosaic1

Thanks for the post. I've carried out the procedure but its not made any difference. The value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software|Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main now appears as [zero-length binary value].

I wonder whether the (Q192315) was the right one for this problem (it was the nearest one I could find after some lurking) as the end bit of the note talks about "positioning information for the All Folders pane in Windows Explorer. The value is created only if the window is resized. Removing the value returns the window to the deafult position".

The problem is not that the pane is in the wrong place / size but that it is completely grayed out. Any further advice as to which key value to change to display the All Folder tree would be appreciated.

I've attached (or attempted to attach) .jpg cut down screen dump

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well, it's an extremely long shot, but try this.
Click on View-Explorer Bar-Folders to take the check mark off. Now do it again to put it back on and see if it resets itself.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
nullarbor,
You're right. That's strange. Greyed out after using an uninstaller. What did you uninstall, please? And can you undo whatever changes you made? I am not sure if this is a registry problem or a missing file.

If you uninstalled something and now you were to try a scanreg /restore you may cause some error mesages to pop. Sys.ini or the reg refers to a file needed to run....... but it is missing... However, you might get function back in Explorer.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I love your name. LOL
You could try extracting a new Copy of Explorer.exe from your Install disk or the cabs, if you have them on the hard drive, using System File Extractor and reboot. I doubt it will fix this, but it can't hurt.

No Tree= NullArbor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mosaic1

Thanks. The uninstaller was Ashampoo 99 Deluxe. The application was WS-FTP Lite. Installed it using Ashampoo which created a log file. Subsequently I used Ashampoo to uninstall in automatic mode. The shortcut to WS remained on the desktop. When I tried to remove it to the recycle bin an error message came up saying can't do this as file is being used by windows. That error message box wouldn't go away so I used the sheer brute force and ignorance approach of pulling the plug. I could then delete the shortcut but it was then that noted win explorer tree grayed out.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Ouch.
First try repairing Internet Explorer. I don't know if that will help. It can't hurt.

You removed a file and then this happened. Scanreg /restore won't replace a missing file.

You can try it, but you removed an app and as I said before, you will be putting all kinds of entries back into the Registry and may get errors because the corresponding files pointed to will no longer be there. You can use a Registry cleaner to remove orphaned entries later, though.
RegCleaner is excellent
http://www.jv16.org/

Usually when an uninstall causes a problem the recommendation is to reinstall that application. Is that possible to do in your case?

I would try the IE repair first. If no joy>> REinstall.
IF no joy> scanreg /restore

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
WAIT!!
I have a theory. I think you may be missing one of your Explorer Bars. I am in the registry now trying to track it down. It would make sense. Give me a few. I am trying to recreate this and I hope I will be able to. Don't do anything yet unless you already have.

Mo

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Got IT!!! You are missing one reg key
Copy the bold to notepad. Save as Fix.reg Double click to enter into the registry.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]
@="Explorer Band"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHDOCVW.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\Implemented Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\Implemented Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mo,

You are an absolute genius! I've tried your fix to add the missing registry key and it works. I'll now have to change my soubriquet!

Many thanks for your assistance and others who contributed. This is truly the internet at its best.

arbor
(as I now am).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.