Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pc which was running fine, hanged and then when i restarted i got this screen which said----
Windows could not start because the following file is missing of corrupt;
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attemp to rapair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I am using a dual boot system, and both the os are winxp sp2. when i booted from the other os and tried to find if the file "SYSTEM" is missing. But in the \CONFIG directory a file called system is present for that os which is 7936 kb. The same file for the current os (running) is 4352 kb.

What could be the solution for my problen. Should i copy and paste the system file. Or as suggested at bootup should i go for repair. And even if i go for the repair i do not know the commands that i will have write.

So please help me as soon as possible. I have a lot of programmes running on that os which i have not installed in this one...

WITH REGARDS AND THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
This is the usual fix for that problem, but since you have a parallel installation, you can move the files around in explorer instead of by command line.

If you have system restore running in that OS, you can find the system registry hive backed up inside a restore point and you can use that instead of the older one in the "Repair" folder.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Elavandil for the quick and to the point answer.

But this is not to work for me. I first tried to do the recovery console thing just like that without knowing much what to do. To my surprise I find that
i was not asked for the administrator password. I thought that my sam file might have gone corrupt. But i have found now that it could be very much opened in notepad. (i use only one user that is administrator)
Now after going through the article of knowledge base for just a check i tried to copy the files but some sort of i/o error is given suggesting the files: system and software have become corrupt other three can be copied.

I tried the command chkdsk /p it did find some errors in the disk. Then i ran it again for the second time after the completion of the first command thinking that it would fix the corrupt files.

what i will do is just copy and rename the files in the system restore and see if it works for me...Hope it works
So now what could be the possible turnaround for me. Is there any options left for me beside reinstalling.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Good work. You have done a very good job on what is usually a very difficult task. :D

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.