Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uninstalled Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 on an XP Pro SP3 machine so that I could install a different security suite.

After uninstalling Trend Micro (but before installing the new suite) I restarted the machine. On restart I received a warning that the hardware on the machine had changed significantly and that I needed to reactivate Windows. Reactivation was completed without any problems.

However, I am rather confused as to how uninstalling a security suite could result in an apparant significant change to the hardware when there had in fact been no change to the hardware for several months.

I would like to understand what caused this problem.

Thanks for your feedback.

T.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe Trend Micro can give you specifics on their site. But security suites typically perform major changes to your operating system. For a reason only known to Trend Micro, theirs alters it in such a way that Windows believes a hardware change has been made.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Curly - it is really annoying when software manufacturers do this sort of thing. :(

For general information: - uninstalling Trend Micro using the TM uninstall utility leaves numerous TM files on the disk. Even when logged in as Administrator it is impossible to remove these files using the normal "File Delete" function. Fortunately the new security suite that I installed was able to remove these files before installation.

I had been a Trend Micro customer for many years and had their security suites installed on several computers but have recently been disappointed in the standard of the basic functions of the product and the poor support.

I would advise any user to avoid Trend Micro products. There are much better products, service and priced products out there.

I have been using Kaspersky Internet Suite on one of my laptops for the past year and have been very impressed with the quality of detection, the unobtrusive way in which the product works and the ease of setup and use. Recommended.

T.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.