Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed a joystick to play a game, and the joystick didn't work so we uninstalled it and the game. Problem now is that after doing so, the Windows display changed itself and everything is HUGE! I have gone to try to fiddle with the display settings, and it is somewhat better, is there an EASY way to get it back the way it was? I am running windows 95. I just can't get it back to normal, and I am sure there is an easy way to correct this, it happened a long time ago when attempting to install a new keyboard and mouse, and another time when trying to use a digital camera hookup. It seems nothing can be hooked up to this thing without fouling up the entire display! Any help much appreciated! ( I did not fix the problem before, and the person who did is no longer available since I have moved out of state several years ago. ) THANKS!

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
If you cannot get the previous display settings to hold up through Display Properties -- for example 256 colors and 860x resolution, you are going to have to reinstall your video drivers.

If you don't have a driver disk, you need to determine what Video card you have by checking the Device Manager or the Display Properties > settings page -- and then find those drivers on the web. You can download them to a convenient folder or floppy, and either follow manufacurer's instructions for installation, or point Windows there when reinstalling the drivers through the Device Manager, or "change driver" page of the Display Adapter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rog, thanks so much for your reply. I went into device manager but I don't see what pertains to a video driver. There is a spot called "sound, video and game controllers" and under that is "creative labs sound blaster pro", "MS Windows sound system compatible", Yamaha OPL3-SAx GamePort", and "Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound system". I don't see anything that says video driver, so I don't know what the heck to look fo ron the web to download as a video driver! Can you tell me? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rog, I went to where you said and looked at it. The display is back to normal since we fiddled with some settings, however, we still have no sound. The message we get says something else is using the sound driver, but we can't figure out what! Any ideas??

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Better yet, post a separate topic. Tell us the exact message and what you are trying to play. Do a ctrl-alt-del and let us know what is in the "Close programs" window besides Explorer and systray. I'm pretty miserable at troubleshooting sound problems, but we'll all give it a go.

Glad to hear about the Display :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, things weren't going well, and my husband finally got an idea to go into add/remove hardware and remove the sound drive and add it again. After that, it the sounds came back, and everything else was adjusted, so we are back to normal! Thanks so much for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.