Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows 7 Fresh install results in slow internet speeds. Safe mode works.

16K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Gouthaman 
Since you were last running OK you have 3 new things--video card, RAM and operating system? You didn't introduce them one at a time?

Most times the drivers Windows 7 finds will work fine, but if there are problems after a fresh install I suggest getting the latest drivers from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's site, beginning with the chipset. If Windows 7 drivers do not exist usually the Vista drivers will work fine. And, of course, make sure you have the latest video card driver.

In addition to services there are tasks running in normal mode that don't run in Safe Mode, so you may want to check them out as well (using msconfig typed into a Run box or the Search box you get immediately after clicking on Start).

I suppose another possibility is memory, as Safe Mode would presumably use less. You may want to try running with just one chip (but at least 1 GB) at a time, or test with Memtest86+.

I mentioned drivers, tasks and memory. Have you addressed the first two?

By the way, I think it is true, as you said, that the NIC driver used in Safe Mode with Networking is the same as that used in normal mode. However, every time I have used Safe Mode I've had the "ugly" (low resolution) display because Windows uses a generic display driver. Perhaps that's not the case when you have a fancy new video card (I've only had whatever video card came with the system)?

By the way, to better isolate the problem with the new memory it's "divide and conquer." Test only one or two chips at a time. Also keep in mind that the memory chips may all be good but one of your memory slots may be bad (assuming you do not use all the slots with your old memory).

Sorry for the confusion; I meant the tasks or processes or "startup items" on the Startup tab of msconfig.

When you made those initial hardware changes either a connector was knocked ever so slightly loose or some stray static electricity damaged a component (maybe on the motherboard) that is not active in Safe Mode. Now in normal mode that component, either damaged or getting reduced power, is somehow interfering with networking.

I know that is a wild idea and not very helpful, but it is the best I could come up with after going over the entire thread another three times. I cannot think of anything else that you haven't already tested.

You might remove each connector in the machine and reconnect carefully and firmly. Also make sure to the extent possible that all cables are in their original locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.