Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter inlaw had an old computer had windows 98SE on it and it was running like ---- and missing files etc so I put windows 2000 pro on for her and everything is running great I hooked her up to the Internet etc. Here is the problem,

When she had windows 98 there are two usb ports and she said they worked, now they don't
If you go into devices and click the + sign next to USB there is nothing underneath it.
I am assuming it just needs to have drivers put in. Where would I find drivers that would work with windows 2000 pro to get the USB ports working again? She bought a printer and of course it has a usb hook up. Can someone help please??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
xfile47 said:
My daughter inlaw had an old computer had windows 98SE on it and it was running like ---- and missing files etc so I put windows 2000 pro on for her and everything is running great I hooked her up to the Internet etc. Here is the problem,

When she had windows 98 there are two usb ports and she said they worked, now they don't
If you go into devices and click the + sign next to USB there is nothing underneath it.
I am assuming it just needs to have drivers put in. Where would I find drivers that would work with windows 2000 pro to get the USB ports working again? She bought a printer and of course it has a usb hook up. Can someone help please??
you will have to load your mb drivers, sound card, nic, graphics etc. since you reformatted
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
46,574 Posts
First of all did you load the chipset / mb drivers for your motherboard?
I install win2k in this order.
1 Install OS
2 Update to sp4 unless your disk already had sp4
3 Update to directx9c
4 Install chipset / mb drivers
5 Install any other drivers as necessary ie sound, nic, raid, etc
6 Install video driver last
7 Run windows update and install ALL critical updates

Now make an image of the system with all updates and drivers installed. If you need to "clean install" at a later time, it takes all of a few min to restore the image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything works fine except the USB ports, graphics, sound, Nic, Modem she has dial up I set it up for her didn't have to reload any drives for the modem, but eveything works except the USB. I have put operaiting systems on before, never had any trouble, but this one is just the USB PORTS is there some drivers I can load for it or what would I do to get them going since everything else works.

This isn't a whole new system, I ran windows 2000 and let it format etc, so I guess what I am asking is , is there a way to just get the usb working since everything else does
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
46,574 Posts
xfile47 said:
Everything works fine except the USB ports, graphics, sound, Nic, Modem she has dial up I set it up for her didn't have to reload any drives for the modem, but eveything works except the USB. I have put operaiting systems on before, never had any trouble, but this one is just the USB PORTS is there some drivers I can load for it or what would I do to get them going since everything else works.

This isn't a whole new system, I ran windows 2000 and let it format etc, so I guess what I am asking is , is there a way to just get the usb working since everything else does
You are not understanding. You must install the mb or chipset drivers. This will "allow" the os to communicate with the hardware on the motherboard ie the usb controller. You may or may not have to load a driver for 2.0 support [if your board supports 2.0] I have had it work both ways doing win2k installs with sp4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then I will have to find out what motherboard it is and then what? will they have the drivers on the motherboard site? and will it say motherboard drivers or chipset drivers or what? Please don't think I am stupid I just have never had to do that before. So am I right then, find out what kind of motherboard and then just download the chipset drivers?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
46,574 Posts
If it is a big box system like dell, gateway, etc you download them from their site. If it is a custom build, you download them from whoever made the motherboard ie asus, abit, msi, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they are bring the computer back over here later today or if not then probab ly monday. I am going to leave this open so if I need more help I can ask. I thank you very much for all the info. I think it is an older gateway but I am not sure. but from your explanation I know where to go and hopefully get it done. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
xfile47 said:
I think they are bring the computer back over here later today or if not then probab ly monday. I am going to leave this open so if I need more help I can ask. I thank you very much for all the info. I think it is an older gateway but I am not sure. but from your explanation I know where to go and hopefully get it done. Thanks again.
believe me we dont think youre stupid, weve all been there, did the same thing on my first format, mb seemed to work fine with what ever windows loaded, leraned months later that there was some functionality that was lost without MB drivers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just loaded what I hope is the right motherboard drivers
the motherboard was an old SOYO 5EMA+1.0 With chipset ETE Q6629
I went to the site that was listed with the motherboard www.soyousa.com/products and found one that was listed for a SY 5EMA +
AND other systems to so I Downloaded it and put it in the computer is starting back up now so I will let you know if it worked or not the download was called
via4in1446v
I hope I did the right thing I will let you no
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
xfile47 said:
I just loaded what I hope is the right motherboard drivers
the motherboard was an old SOYO 5EMA+1.0 With chipset ETE Q6629
I went to the site that was listed with the motherboard www.soyousa.com/products and found one that was listed for a SY 5EMA +
AND other systems to so I Downloaded it and put it in the computer is starting back up now so I will let you know if it worked or not the download was called
via4in1446v
I hope I did the right thing I will let you no
if this was a gateway pc I would also look there for make/model of pc, mb driver download etc., pc makers can some times tweak things a might, so your best shot is there, then if not look on mother maker sites as you did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Computer doesn't say gateway on it
I loaded that other one I just told you about there doesn't seem to be any difference.

In the device manager it says
+ Universal Serial Bus Controllers (click the +sign and it says)
Unsopported VIA USB Universal Host Controller

does that tell you anything?
should I look on gateway? Is gateway the kind of computer you think it is?
I guess the one I just downloaded didn;'t hurt anything
does what it is showing in the divice manager tell you anything??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
another thing to try is through device manager, right click on usb and try to update driver that way, if anything is there, one of the choices is to look online at MS website, let it look there for usb driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
xfile47 said:
The Computer doesn't say gateway on it
I loaded that other one I just told you about there doesn't seem to be any difference.

In the device manager it says
+ Universal Serial Bus Controllers (click the +sign and it says)
Unsopported VIA USB Universal Host Controller

does that tell you anything?
should I look on gateway? Is gateway the kind of computer you think it is?
I guess the one I just downloaded didn;'t hurt anything
does what it is showing in the divice manager tell you anything??
I thought you said it was a gateway???, try right clicking on usb host contriller does it say anything about updating driver, some of that stuff has that options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will do that now
wanted to tell you if it makes a difference.
that program everesthome
says the motherboard is a SOYO 5EMA+1.0
AND THE CHIPSET SAYS IT IS ETE Q6629

HOWEVER
the above stuff it says under motherboard

If I look under computer in everest it says the motherboard chipset is VIA VT82C598 APOLLO MVP3

Does that tell you anymore?

I will see about if it says to update the driver I have done that before I will get back to you in a minute
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you go to device manageer and right click on the + sign by USB and when the unsopported usb comes up I right click on that and then click properties cause thats usually where you will see the driver and can click update.

It says there is no driver installed for this device
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
46,574 Posts
The driver you installed is the correct one for the board you listed; the via4in1 driver.
Do you have a motherboard support CD by chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I don't, do you no where I can get a driver for it says
USB1 CONTROLLER-VIA VE83C572 PCI-USB CONTROLLER

cause it is saying it has no driver installed even after I installed that via 4in1 driver
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top