Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my mom's Windows 98SE computer. I put in the Win 2000 installation CD. It began installing files, but it gets stuck in a continuous loop and I can't successfully finish the install.

The computer is a K6 300 MHz with a 80 GB hard drive.

I don't get any error messages, it just keeps looping.

Help!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
At what point in the installation does it restart? Is it the same all the time, and if so, what point is that (eg what file is it trying to install)?

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Upgrades from win9x based systems to nt based systems are problematic at best. Backup whatever data / work files you want to keep and do a clean install of win2k using ntfs file system. Note I would first download ALL drivers you will need. This would be chipset / mb drivers, video driver, sound, nic drivers and sp4 unless your disk already has sp4. Burn these to cdr, dvdr, or whatever.

A little bit of research now on the driver issue will save you a lot of time after the install.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for responding.

there is no specific point in the installation that repeats. the installation just keeps repeating with no apparent errors. it says it's adjusting the keyboard and mouse so please wait and the screen might flicker. then it starts to install files, check settings, delete temp files, then it asks me to type in a name, then it reboots and says it's adjusting the keyboard and mouse so please wait and the screen might flicker. then it starts to install files, check settings, etc.

after i couldn't install Win2000 successfully, i tried removing that master hard drive, disconnecting the slave drive, and taking another 30 GB hard drive that has WinXP on it and installing that hard drive into the computer as the master.
I played with jumpers, master slave, ribbon cables, start up disks, installation CDs for about 4 hours but no luck.

I finally gave up with the 30 GB and put the original master hard drive back with a Win98 boot disk and Win98 installation CD. Win98 starts to load and asked me to do FDISK.

I did a FDISK and now Win98 tries to load but gets hung up at the Splash screen.
Is FDISK the same as Format C:? in other words, is all my data gone?

After all the problems i had trying with Win2000, i'd be happy just having my Win 98 back. But booting up with the Win 98 boot disk and the Win 98 installation CD just causes Windows 98 to hang. And my Win 98 CD is an upgrade from Win 95.

Should I do a format C:, install Win95 then upgrade to Win 98?

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Since you have had so much trouble, I would check some things before trying another install and wasting time.

1 Download and run memtest86. Note this runs from bootable media ie CD or floppy; no need for an os to even be installed.

2 Next download and run the hd maker's utility for checking the drive. Do a complete test not a quick test. If the drive checks out ok, then have the utility do a zero fill or sometimes called a low level format. When that is done, the disk is completely blank.

If you want to run win9x, you will need to run fdisk and create a partition. If you want to run win2k, partitions and formatting are done from setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again for writing.

So after i run Memtest and Maxtor PowerMax, my drive will be blank? Will I still be able to get to DOS?

When do I do FDISK---before i install the operating system?

I only have a Win 98 Upgrade disk. does that mean i need to first install Win 95? I don't have a boot disk for Win95---do i need a boot disk for a fresh install?

I haven't decided if i'm brave enough to try to install Win 2000 again!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Your disk will be blank IF you select the zero fill option of the utility.
No there will not be anything on your disk so no dos until you boot with a dos boot disk.
Your run fdisk and create partitions first then format.
I have not used win9x in many years so you will have to post about the win98 upgrade in the win9x forum.

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
No. First you run memtest and the hd utility. There would be no sense in trying to do an install until you check your hardware. Once you test your hardware and it is ok, then you can use a win9x boot disk to run fdisk and format the drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I tried it and it works!

i went to maxtor.com and found a utility called Powermax. i used that to check the hard drive. one helpful thing was powermax told me the drive i thought was the master drive was actually the slave drive.

on maxtor's website they had information about jumpers and i was able to make the jumper to be the master drive. then i did a full low level format.

Then i booted up the computer using the Win 2000 start up floppy disks (there are 4 of them). I followed instructions and was able to successfully install Win 2000!!

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Good work :up: You can mark your own thread as solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.
I will mark this one solved for you :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.