Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally, I complained in another thread because my DVD drive suddenly played choppily. After Hijack This found nothing suspicious and a several hour shut-down, it works just fine, today. :confused:

My question is, - clearly, one of my approved programs running was likely hogging the available resources. Can someone please give me a short lesson in how to go about finding out WHICH program gets so intense that my DVD drive and sound crapped out like that? It's not enough that I know how to see what's running.... how can I tell how much each process uses?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,

The main way is to look in your task manager Ctrl + Alt + Dlte or by right clicking on your task bar and selecting the task manager from your shell. Look under the proccesses tab. there you will see multiple proccesses (with the amount of k they are using listed to their right), although a program may have more than one proccess running, like anti-virus for example. Some of them, like that for explorer are easy to recognise 'explorer.exe'. Others are a little more ambiguous. Apps like explorer and anti-virus tend to use a lot of memory, as do all browsers though some less then others. My Firefox for example is using 41,680 k for example. Subtract that from my 250 MB RAM that's almost a 5th by itself. That's normal. Other apps you get used to knowing what they are as you get to know your system and regularly see them running, and you learn which you need can close as they aren't essential and which are when you need to do something else. For more information, view:

pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Hope that helps

Big Smiles

HS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I'll pay more attention to my processes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,

What may make the job a little easier is a little free program you can download that lists your processes in detail, what they are called. who made them and how much of your cpu they're using. You can also query any process which you aren't sure what it is or if it's needed with a right click. In addition you can view startups and change which are actually set to start-up when you log on to your account or reboot:

auditmypc.com

That should make life a lot easier.

Big Smiles

HS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been taking (and passing) all of the tests there, but I can't really find the program that monitors the processes like you mentioned. Could you point me a little more specifically?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, that page is very difficult to work out how to actually download the thing (I may email them abaout that). Look for 'Software Audit and Online Resources' written in green on the page and below also in green, 'Audit Software'. Click on that. To the right of that shopuld suddenly appear 'PC Audit Software' in green (below which: 'Free downloads version 2.0 Available Here' in black). Click on the 'PC Audit Software' link that just appeared and it should start to install. Then, go through the set-up wizard and open the program :). Incidentally, the 'Software Audit Tool' link takes you to a page where you can insert a single proccess in a search box where it will search it's online database to tell you what it is (if it doesn't know, it logs the fact someone wants to know what it is and they then make a note of researching it and updating their database, quite cool huh?). However, you don't need that if you have downloaded the software, you can simply open the program on the machine and right click on an entry to query it.

Big Smiles

HS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's quite alright - I downloaded the program and quite love it! Instant definitions of the processes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.