Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to VPN and have set a server up using windows XP's built in feature. I have tried to connect to the VPN from inside the router and it works fine. but I can't access from outside of the router. The computer will connect but then when on the "Verifying Username and Password" step the connection will disconnect with error 721: The remote computer did not respond.
The router that i have is a Lynksys WCG200, I have tried turning all the security features off, but that did not help. Could my router just not be compatible with VPN?

·
Registered
444 Posts
It sounds like you have the VPN setup backwards on the router. VPN connections are one-way across a router. If you set it up so your computer can connect while it's behind the router, then you can't connect from outside the router. If you're goal is to securely connect while outside the router, then router has to be setup to listen for the connection on the public interface and pass the unencrypted traffic to the private interface. Basically, you need to turn it around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you have the VPN setup backwards on the router. VPN connections are one-way across a router. If you set it up so your computer can connect while it's behind the router, then you can't connect from outside the router. If you're goal is to securely connect while outside the router, then router has to be setup to listen for the connection on the public interface and pass the unencrypted traffic to the private interface. Basically, you need to turn it around.
How would I reverse the setup? As I said I am new, so I get what you are talking about but I don't know how to do it :)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
With NAT loopback you can connect to a VPN from inside the network.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.