Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 spreadsheets. I am trying to do the following.....i go to spreadsheet 1 and put in a vlookup formula to look at column b on spreadsheet 1 as the lookup value. Then I go to spreadsheet 2 and put in a range for the table array to look up and put a 2 in the col index num to get the value and put false for an exact match. on spreadsheet 1 when the formula is complete all that appears is the actual formula not the value. I have a feeling vlookup is not what I should be using here.

This is very hard to explain. Im sure you will need more info.....if so what do you need?

Can you have a vlookup that looks at different spreadsheets for the actual table or does the table need to be on one spreadsheet?

·
Registered
743 Posts
=VLOOKUP(A10,[SPREADSHEET2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$E$10,2,FALSE)

That should look up the value listed in A10 in Spreadsheet 1 in the range A1 to E10 in Spreadsheet 2 and return the corresponding value listed in Column B of Spreadsheet 2

Give it a try

- Castleheart :cool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
:eek: What yo say!

You shouldn't get just a formula. You should at least get a #N/A Did you leave out the = ?
Double check. If not, then.....

Try this: I just did the following and stumbled on an anomaly:

To begin with the formula worked fine.

Then: I formated the cell as TEXT
Then: I removed the =
Then: I formatted the cell as a number
Then: I Reinserted the =

Suddenly, the cell displays only the formula as you indicated.

To correct it: Insert a second = in front of the first. When you get the alert that your formula is incorrect - let it correct it and all should be well.

See what happens.

- C

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by itsmeitsmeitsme:
the other = sign worked great...after I accepted the correction everything is fine now....thanks so much for your fast response!!!!!!!!!!!
I know the thread has already being marked as solved, but another method would be to go to,

Edit/Replace and replace = with =

Happy Birthday.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.