Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks... I have a new Dell 1501 Inspiron laptop running XP Home. I purchased it that way intentionally. I'm now considering upgarding to Vista Home. I ran the M$ Upgrade Advisory Tool and my machine is compatible. See my specs for specific hardware factors.

My question is twofold.

1.What is the consenses regarding the advisablity of upgarding? Is Vista stable at this point in time or should I wait awhile?

2. If I purchase and upgrade CD and run it, will I retain my programs and files or will it be essentially like a clean install?

I'd appreciate opinions and inputfrom those with experince in upgarde process.

Raybro

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I would not advise an upgrade though I believe Vista is stable now and actually worth having. And if you do a clean install do you have the program cd's to install? If not the only other possibility that might run ok would be to reformat with XP fresh and then uprgrade right away before doing anything else so at least you would have a clean XP to upgrade.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Rich-M... One of the factors I'm unsure of is the question of the 64-bit thing. Is Vista set to use 64-bit by default or can it run in 32-bit? I have a number of programs that I'm pretty sure will not work with a 64-bit OS. Do you know of any information sites that can help me understand what that is all about?

Raybro

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some basic searches with Google and found a number of sites that collectively concluded that running the Vista 64-bit version was full of problems regarding, primarily,drivers and some 32-bit apps. There were also some problems running the 32-bit version with a 64-bit processor, but not as many.

At this point I'm not inclined the convert to Vista. My XP Home installation is running just fine and I think I'll stick with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

Raybro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.