Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer: 258KA
System Model: 258KA000
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/06/04 13:15:06 Ver: 08.00.11
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~790MHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 299MB used, 6624MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

My question is about my Processor. As you can read, I have an AMD Athlon 64 which is dual core and the total processing power is 2.0 GHz. Windoes only recognizes that my computer is running at ~790MHz. Is this going to be a problem for Vista Home Premium?
I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it recommended I get Vista Home, but who wants a boring old version of Vista? I might as well stick with XP.
Technically, I have the specs for Home Premium, but will my processor be a problem?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Your lower CPU speed is likely due to AMD's Cool & Quiet feature that adjusts the processor's speed based on usage/demand. But According to the info you posted you have a single core Athlon 64 not a dual core Athlon 64 X2. What brand and model number is your laptop? Either way it is capable of running Vista Premium.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Triple6 said:
Your lower CPU speed is likely due to AMD's Cool & Quiet feature that adjusts the processor's speed based on usage/demand. But According to the info you posted you have a single core Athlon 64 not a dual core Athlon 64 X2. What brand and model number is your laptop? Either way it is capable of running Vista Premium.
Ah right, I was thinking of my other system which has the same processor, but dual core.
So as I put more demand on my system the processor speed will go up? That's good to know!
I am using an off-brand laptop: Cyber Power (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com and the model number is 9700 or something close to that. All I know is that my model is discontinued because it is about a year old now. They still sell 9700s but my exact type of laptop is no longer sold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.