Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 computers on a network over a linksys WRT54G router. A netbook running XP, an HP laptop running Vista Home Premium SP2, and a MAC running OS 10.5.8. All 3 show on all computer network locations and I can access files between each of them EXCEPT the HP Laptop under VISTA to the MAC. For that connection, VISTA wants a user name and password and I enter the same (and only user) name that I have on the MAC and I get the message that Windows cannot find that machine and asks me to check the user name/password. I use that same user/password combo when accessing the MAC from the XP Netbook, it works fine. What can I do in VISTA to get to the MAC. I know that the user name/password I am using is the only one that exists on the MAC. I also have 2 printers attached and they both work fine on all 3 computers.;)

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two articles are for Windows 7. I am dealing with Vista, XP, and MAC OSx.
HOWEVER, I have been trying to solve this problem for weeks and while I was trying things from these articles I tried something just for the heck of it. (Something I never even considered before). The dialog box requesting my username/password shows at the top that it was connecting to MACxxxxxxxxxxxx, the identity for my MAC. So I was just entering a user name than the password. I tried ... MACxxxxxxxxxxxx\user name ... then the password! IT WORKED.
So thank you, even though it didn't directly solve my problem, your input got me to see the light somehow. ;)

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
glad to have helped in at least a little way , if only just to rethink things
:up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.