Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a windows vista home premium 32 sp1 laptop and it recently caught a virus and i was told to delete some entries in registry -
Delete The Entries
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
Delete file entry from right side

after i rebooted my laptop my windows wont start even in safe mode i just see a mouse floating around that i can move... im thinking its cuz i deleted the svchost?
i have a recovery cd but that just reformats the computer and not fix w.es missing if i can get some help PLEASE i have assignments due next week that are on the computer T_T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx for the quick reply but the thing is the laptop doesnt come with window dvds they only come with recovery dvds and all it does is restore it back to factory settings with all data wiped out

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you use the recovery disks to restore back to factory reset all data will be lost.

The hard drive could be removed and placed as a slave in another computer or into an external hard drive caddy and connected via USB to another computer and files removed and stored.

Well they broke your computer.:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have no knowledge of how to do that on a laptop never opened one b4 is there no other way? to fix it besides using a windows cd? how bout if i try to update it to SP2? would that work?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok lets see if you can run "Sytem restore" using your recovery CDs.

Follow this link carefully.Read it thoughly before attempting a system restore.choose a date to a few days before you deleted these keys.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html

System restore to a few days ago you will only loose files from the past few days.

Then if your up and runing please visit our secuirty section to have your viruse cleaned up by trained staff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i managed to get a hold of a vista and for some reason start fix didnt help so i had to system restore back to when i had the virus now i just gotta wait for reply for virus removal

thnx for the help Mumbodog and Jelly-Bean

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello again Shenks.

That is great I am glad tou managed the restore.

You are very welcome,any time you need help just post.

The Security Section can be realy busy and you will have to be patient.But rest assured they will get to your thread and help you.

Good luck.

JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.