Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm thinking of installing Windows Vista Basic on my brother's old computer but i'm unsure on how well it will perform. We've had the computer for a good 10 years so I imagine it's wearing out and during that time it's a had a couple viruses which I believe i've cleared them all off. The main uses of the computer are to browse the web like youtube.com, autotrader etc. and also play a few small games, specifically the RTS game Dawn of War which it can run on low-medium settings in a playable state.

A lot of the time webpages take an annoying amount of time to load up and can sometimes freeze the pc so we're wanting a fresh start with his pc. Would the following be enough for a clean install of Vista Basic to run well?:

Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHz
768MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Series AGP 128MB
75GB HDD

He's currently using Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Basic is the BOTTOM of the line of Vista. I would NOT waste my time trying to use it let alone on a machine with less than 2 Gigs of RAM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm ok I guess i'll do a clean install with XP then. I wasn't sure if it'd be better with Vista or not. I'm using Vista ultimate 64-bit on my machine and works great but that's a much better computer ofcourse.

Thanks for the reply! :up:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hi!

I'm thinking of installing Windows Vista Basic on my brother's old computer but i'm unsure on how well it will perform. We've had the computer for a good 10 years so I imagine it's wearing out and during that time it's a had a couple viruses which I believe i've cleared them all off. The main uses of the computer are to browse the web like youtube.com, autotrader etc. and also play a few small games, specifically the RTS game Dawn of War which it can run on low-medium settings in a playable state.

A lot of the time webpages take an annoying amount of time to load up and can sometimes freeze the pc so we're wanting a fresh start with his pc. Would the following be enough for a clean install of Vista Basic to run well?:

Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHz
768MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Series AGP 128MB
75GB HDD

He's currently using Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks
Instead of a windows operating system how about a Linux operating system. Ubuntu is free and this machine has enough RAM that it will fly with that operating system - it's a great operating system for older machines. Granted it will require some reeducation but the website has links to tutorial etc. http://www.ubuntu.com/ check it out. You won't need any anti-virus software with this either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never tried the other operating systems like Linux and stuff. I've only used Windows :eek: But if you recommend it i'll give it a shot. I wasn't aware that ubuntu was free. Are there any catches or a reason why it's free? Also what is Ubuntu like with games? There wouldn't be any problems playing Dawn of War with it, would there?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Ubuntu (and most Linux operating systems) are free because they don't charge licensing fees like Microsoft - they only charge for Tech Support.

As far as gaming is concerned I can't help you. You might check out the operating system category Unix/Linux on the forum start page and see if anyone can answer that for you. It does come bundled with a lot of software and open source options. Ask about a program called Wine. It's supposed to allow you to run some programs that otherwise wouldn't be able to run in the Linux environment - like MS Office suites. My knowledge is somewhat limited. I have fiddled around with Ubuntu a little from info I gained from my local computer club (I'm an instructor there but not a Linux instructor).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ubuntu (and most Linux operating systems) are free because they don't charge licensing fees like Microsoft - they only charge for Tech Support.

As far as gaming is concerned I can't help you. You might check out the operating system category Unix/Linux on the forum start page and see if anyone can answer that for you. It does come bundled with a lot of software and open source options. Ask about a program called Wine. It's supposed to allow you to run some programs that otherwise wouldn't be able to run in the Linux environment - like MS Office suites. My knowledge is somewhat limited. I have fiddled around with Ubuntu a little from info I gained from my local computer club (I'm an instructor there but not a Linux instructor).
Thanks for the info i'll check it all out. What i've done is downloaded and installed Ubuntu on the current XP installation so now i'm dual booting with XP and Ubuntu. The problem is I can't seem to use the arrow keys to select the Ubuntu option to boot into Ubuntu. After the 20 sec countdown it automatically boots into XP (because that was highlighted and couldn't switch). It's not a problem with the keyboard because once at the desktop it works fine and i've tried different keyboards and it's the same.

Any idea how to get the arrow keys working?

I could just uninstall Windows XP so i'm left with Ubuntu...would that work?

Nevermind I edited the boot.ini file to make Ubuntu the default OS and it's installing the system now. But if you still have any idea why I can't use the arrow keys to select a different OS to boot into then i'd be very interested to learn why.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that's a new one. Usually you boot right into Ubuntu and have to use Easy BCD to get the XP or Vista bootloader back. Never had the arrow keys stop working.
Yeah infact none of the keys seem to work when it gets to the boot screen where you choose the OS. The funtions keys and others work before then but only before entering that boot screen. :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm honestly stumped on that one. Never heard of it before and have no idea how to fix it.
Hi again!

I worked out what the problem was and thought i'd let you know. Okay so it was pretty simple but I browsed through the menus in the BIOS and noticed that 'USB Keyboard Support' was set to [Disabled]. So I enabled it and the keyboard worked fine, and I could select the different OS upon boot. For some reason it had been disabled..I was surprised to see that but oh well it's sorted now.

I ended up formating the whole hard disk and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Home Edition and it's running great now :D

Thanks for the help :up:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Oh for goodness sake. Weird how that happened. I don't think it was the Ubuntu program that caused it though. Probably just a coincidence. Well, if you ever get your hands on an older computer similar to your brother's that someone is looking to get rid of there's a good chance to fiddle around with Ubuntu. I had one for a short time until my brother bought my old HP computer from me.

He's probably better off with XP on that machine anyway. Chances are you would have had to up the RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh for goodness sake. Weird how that happened. I don't think it was the Ubuntu program that caused it though. Probably just a coincidence. Well, if you ever get your hands on an older computer similar to your brother's that someone is looking to get rid of there's a good chance to fiddle around with Ubuntu. I had one for a short time until my brother bought my old HP computer from me.

He's probably better off with XP on that machine anyway. Chances are you would have had to up the RAM
I managed to mess about with Ubuntu before wiping and reisntalling XP. I was rather suprised that on that old machine the cool effects ran great and browsing about was smooth and fun. I'm definitely going try it again someday. Infact i've got a pretty old laptop with similar hardware to that old computer. I might put it on that ;)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Donate the PC to Goodwill and move on.
Hey, a chance to mess around with another operating system is a great learning experience. Don't be so narrow minded. As it turns out we have several folks at the computer club I belong to who decided to do just what I recommended here - putting Ubuntu on their old computers. It really breathed new life into them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.