Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a HP Pavilion p6112p, with Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS.
8GB RAM, 1T HD... etc.

I thought I had bought a ticket to heaven, but found it was really a ticket to hell!

I previously had a HP Athlon, with XP Home 32 bit OS. (I loved it, but it only had 512 mg of ram and could only handle a max of 1 G).

I read on C-Net, that you could run 32 bit programs on 64 bit OS; however, I can't run ANYTHING! I tried to d/l Avast antivirus (which I had been using), but it would not install; neither would Incredimail. I can't get animated graphics to run on sites such as Facebook's Farm Town. Also, everything runs sooooo slooooowly! I have waited for 10 minutes for a page to load!

I HATE VISTA 64!

Please tell me what I can do to get my EXPENSIVE computer to operate even as well as my old system (which I thought was outdated!)

I really trust you guys to help me; HP is useless when it comes to that. I'd rather make a contribution to you than get their "free" garbly ****".

Also, can you advise what free antivirus programs and e-mail clients are supported by my OS?

P.S. Please use easy to understand language, as I am not all that computer literate.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I may be no more computer literate than yourself but I know that many 32 bit programs DO work on 64 bit systems. The main exceptions are anti virus programs and some hardware drivers!

You haven't made your assumption on a very small range of programs have you?

You need to ensure everything you download is the 64 bit version if it is available. This applies to your browser too, what browser are you using?

Therefore you may have downloaded only 32 bit programs and just assumed they would work flawlessly when in fact they may not be compatible or you just haven't downloaded the 64bit version!

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
AVAST does work on a 64 bit machine and OS.

I had it running on mine until F-Protect released their 64 bit version for Windows 7.

You are going to find that a LOT of the "Utilities" need to be 64 bit, so when looking for these nice toys, make sure you check out the "System Requirements" on each toy (tool).

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot of the problems with Vista x64 can be sorted with a little patience.

Avast is fantastic and I'm running it on mine no problem. You just have to make sure that wherever there is the option, download the x64 version of the program.

(Go to their website and it's there - when I downloaded it was still Beta, but it works fine.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
64 bit mode provides processes to run in "compatibility mode". This mode allows most 32-bit programs to run unchanged in a 64 environment. So there shouldn't be a problem. I also find that the problem you describe isn't very descriptive. A program not letting you install can account for a lot of things but a newly bought computer that won't let you could probably mean something simple. So if you can, describe what happens exactly?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I solved the Avast problem, but downloading it to a CD, from another computer, and installing it on this one. It's working fine now.

My main problem with this computer is with the adobe flashplayer, on Facebook's FarmTown (for example).

Did I mention that I'm using a dial-up USB modem? I can't get high speed internet where I am. The other type of dial-up modem (that fits into the slot) wouldn't work at all.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have much experience with avast, but I do know that 32-bit programs will work

Sometimes you have to right click it and select "run as administrator"

The antivirus programs that I know will work are: AVG, BitDefender, Webroot, and Mcafee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.