Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my video card from 9500 gt to either 9800gtx or gts 250 I'm getting conflicting reviews on which one is better can anyone help with this choice? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
They perform about exactly the same, GTS250 uses less power and runs a bit cooler.
Yet... So does Radeon 4850, and costs less when bought new. Avoid the Asus brass-colored cooler equipped, and slim reference cooler ones, though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have 2 Msi nGTS250's (1gb) in SLI, my system runs anything on highest settings... @ 1920x1080 @ peak of 69-70deg c each. plus they only use a six pin pci-e power connector. I personally love the look of them as they aren't all enclosed with fantastic plastic, but instead have 4 copper heat pipes running off the chip. (msi) edit: the msi version is factory overclocked

·
Registered
76 Posts
Coming from a long time Nvidia person I do not believe in brand loyalty when it comes to GPUs. Nvidia had been on top of the pile for years in the negligable speed department however ATI has always looked better visually in my opinion. The last upgrade I did was to an Asus 4830 as it was slightly beating the 9800 on speed and as I said ATI visual quality is really good. Well, I am happy to say it was the best card I ever owned and I have owned, and still do tons of cards ranging from Riva TNTs to nvidia 6800 and now this beast of a card that I only payed 100 bucks for last year. ATI is owned by AMD and both have provided me with top notch hardware for many years especially at the price. If it were my decision I would not hesitate to go for the ATI card hands down. They made a believer out of me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used to be loyal to Ati for some reason, but Msi Ngts250's are extremely good bang for the buck...

·
Registered
76 Posts
It has really gotten to be like the whole big 4 thing in motocross. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki are now so close in performance that it just boils down to riding ability and personal taste and like I said I have always preferred ATI as far as image quality is concerned. Even if, and I'm not saying they are but, the Nvidia card in a certain class and price range is a hair faster then the ATI or vise versa the differences (for cards in the same class with comparable specs) is so close you are maybe talking about 2 frames per second and it all depends on what application you are running as well. Somethings will run I tiny faster on ATI while other on the Nvidia. Choosing the right Processor, motherboard, memory and hard drive will have more of an impact on overall speed compared to the negligible differences from as a 4830 to a 9800. If you sucked at Unreal tournament 3 on a 9800 you will still suck on a 4830 just as an example. I just think it looks prettier on the ATI but the monitor you use makes all the difference in the world to, so don't sweet it, either card you get in the same class will do you about the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.