Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - we currently have a NVIDIA Vanta 8MB Video Card on our HP Pavillion (OS Windows 98) and for Christmas I would like to get my husband a 64 MB or 128 MB Video Card (He likes to play RP games on the computer). Does anyone have any suggestions, or can offer any information as to what I need to look for so I don't get something I don't need???? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Make sure you check for conflicts between mobo and the video card before buying. I ran into a problem running a GeForce 2MX on my ASUS A7A266 mobo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
first off, a 128 MB video card isn't neccesary by far...128 MB is only used on workstation quality cards so far...

64 MB on most video cards is good enough to get you above 60 frames per second on most games at even 1600x1200 resolution

PCWorld.com is great for comparing this kinda stuff...in fact they did a top 10 on gaming boards just recently right here...

Top 10 Gaming Videocards Benchmarks

Lemme just make a few of my own suggestions...
Nvidia is developing a new "Titanium" line of videocards that are going to wipe out any competition for a good bit. The GeForce3 Titanium is supposed to be in the $500 range but will offer just about the best gaming performance seen to date. The GeForce2 version will offer very decent performance at a more affordable ($200?) price range. For most gamers the GeForce2 Titanium is plenty enough power. Unfortunatly they aren't out yet. They're suposed to be out in stores by November.

If you want the best you can get and you need it real soon then the Elsa Gladiac GeForce3 is the card you want. It's about $500 as of right now.
If you want near GeForce3 performance but not the price then you should definatly get the MSI GeForce 2 Pro. This card is only $130-140 and performs almost as well as the GeForce 3!

I'm in the market for a new videocard too but I'm gonna wait until the Titanium line is released. The old GeForce's will have to take a price drop and it will be the pefect opportunity to get a new Nvidia video card.

Overall, for a price to performance ratio I HIGHLY suggest the MSI GeForce 2 Pro. If you wait just one month it's sure to take a price drop too! Hope this was of help...sorry for rambling on, I get into this!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your help you guys - I am not sure what "mobo" is tho'. I am looking into a GeForce 2MX also, but still unsure because I read that the GeForce 3 was better. I don't know, all this stuff can get really confusing!:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mobo is short for motherboard, the big circuit board which everything in you computer plugs into

Before you buy any card or upgrade you should make sure your computer can support it. Most new video cards use an AGP slot on your motherboard. Many older computers may not have one. There are 3 different slots a video card can use:

AGP (advanced graphics port) - about 2 inches accross, usually brown/black

PCI - about 3-4 inches accross, usually white

ISA - about 4-5 inches across, usually black...no new cards use these

The GeForce 2 MX card is a good, cheap board for the casual gamer but it really suffers in higher resolutions on many games

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guri - what then, would be a better then good card, because my husband loves to play and currently is using the whole 8 MB that we have available. Graphics, color, the whole 9 yards he looks at for his role-playing games (for example, he is currently playing Arcanum)...I really don't want anything to "suffer" resolution, color, or what not!

·
Registered
15 Posts
well by suffer I didn't mean literally...The GeForce 2 MX cards generally get low frames per second when running games under 1600x1200 resolution in 32 bit color. Know that many games can't even support that kind of resolution! That kind of quality is extreme. Also, by suffer I mean compared to better, more expensive cards. The FPS only drops to about 20-30 (television is 24 frames per second) which is still decent.

Most people don't notice all that much difference past 1024x720 (?) resolution. The MX line still runs 1024x res absolutely fine.

I currently use an old 32 mb video card, the Riva TnT 2, and it runs all my games perfectly fine in 1024x resolution. So really the MX is good enough for nearly any gamer out there. If your husband is a little more serious and you want it to last you a few years then go with the MSI GeForce 2 Pro. The GeForce 3 really isn't neccesary especially for the money.

A good GeForce 2 MX card goes for about $80-100
The MSI GeForce 2 Pro is about $130-150 with near GeForce 3 performance for 1/3 the price...do the math :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hey, just to horn in on a good thread... What about a good card for someone who plays no games, just wants to watch DVDs, and is sick of ATI? And, on that note, what about good DVD software compatible with 7th zone's DVD Genie (I live in France, I buy American DVDs) and said video card, as I understand there's now often a package deal?

I'm running Win 2K on a Celeron 466, 256MB RAM, HD space to burn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.