Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter got the Sims2 game for Christmas. I was able to get this out of her computer:

Windows ME
Total Physical Memory 126 MB RAM
Available Physical Memory 2 MB RAM
Pentium III
Estimated Speed 858.2 MHz
Free Space 28.6 GBytes
Video Adapter Intel 82810E Graphics Controller (I did go to the site and update this driver)
Sound Card Crystal WDM Audio Codec (I couldn't find an update for this one)

If I add this video card will she be able to play? PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 / 256MB DDR / PCI / Dual VGA / TV Out / Video Card AND, will that work on her Hewlett Packard Pavillion?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The only thing I can see other than the video card is the amount of RAM you have. You need 256mb to run the game, and you only have 128mb. Do those two things, and you should be good to go. You'll probably have to run the graphics settings pretty low, but it should still be playable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

Can I get any kind of RAM or will I need a specific type for her HP Pavillion? I'm on a website and there 100's of different ones listed.

Will this one work? Rendition By Crucial 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can't just go out and buy any RAM , they are very different see what you have here : http://www.crucial.com/

Select you're HP pc in the list , model etc..
it will scan you're computer to see what kind of RAM is in it and it will show on the left how many slots you have left.

Also that Video card is pretty old and will struggle to play the Sims2 if it will even play !
i would look at the Nvidia 6' Series AGP.
Run this aswell : http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest and see what it reccomends.

Hope this helped you out a little

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I know this is going to sound silly, but where can I find which model of HP Pavillion I have? It's not on the case, that I can find, and when I look at the system under control panel it just says pavillion. :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah this would be about right , the PC133 is the older RAM if i was you i would get 2x 256 MB
if you can afford this ; i don't know how much these cost.
Check out www.newegg.com if you're in America
and you will need a new AGP video card aswell , and the processor i'm not sure if the sims2 supports 800 MHZ processor but that's the minimum.....
i'm not being funny but have you looked into buying a new computer ? or a second hand one
you will be spending more on upgrading than a new pc will cost.
for around $400-500 you would be able to get a good pc that will play the SIMS2 and most other games.
i would look at a pc that has 512MB RAM and up in it
with a intel P4 Processor 2.8 GHZ and up
or an AMD ATHLON processor 3200+
and an Nvidia 6 Series i recommend the 6600GT PCI-e this is what i have myself
or an ATI X800 Series video card and up.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I was thinking about that today as I was looking at the different pieces and parts I need along with the fact that it's simply getting old and just might die after I put all this 'stuff' into it.

She already has a good printer and monitor, courtesy of Santa last year, so all I really need is the actual computer part of it the set-up. I've been stalling on replacing this one since she'll probably be going away to school soon and will want to get a laptop.

Thanks for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.