Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed Macrium Reflect Free. I have a brand new external hard drive...400GB.
When I wanted to create a backup and got to the part where I was to choose the destination of the image, I wasn't sure which one of the three choices ( Local Hard Disk, Network, CD/DVD Burner) to pick so I could store the backup on the external hard drive. While I was trying to decide what to do, something must have happened because now my external hard drive has 76 MG on it, with 372 GB of free space. What happened? Could someone explain or direct me to a site where I can find out how to save the image properly? Can I save images from 2 different computers? Can the external hard drive be 'erased/cleaned'? Thanks.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
The external should appear in Explorer like any other drive. You should create a folder on it for your Macrium backups. Anything else on the drive can be deleted just like on any other drive. Just choose your new folder for the destination of the backup.

After the original backup, you can create "incremental" backups that are smaller and faster and only save the changes since the original was made. Then, if you need to recover, you boot up the Macrium CD and you will have date choices, like in System Restore, about which day's backup you want to restore.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...I created a folder, ran Macrium and indicated where I wanted it to be saved. How can I find out if the image is on my external? Right now the folder on the external appears to be empty.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
You should be able to see it there. I don't think the images are hidden files. But just in case, unhide hidden files in Folder Options, or check the size of the folder to see if it could contain an image.

How long did it take? It should take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took less than a minute !!!. I really don't know what I'm doing. It's getting late...will try tomorrow.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
The directions are pretty straightforward. You want to back up your entire system. You choose your computer as the source and then choose the partition that has your system installed (or the entire drive, if you choose). Then the destination. Foolow the wizard. It is really pretty simple. But, there are always the directions and Help if you need it.

When done, the image should be about 2/3 the size of all the used space on your drive.

I wouldn't have suggested incremental backups to "save time" if it only took a minute to make a full one. :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success!! Got the full image of my C: It took about 27 min. Do I set up a new folder to save incremental images or do they go into the same folder? Can I save the images for my laptop the same way using the same external hard drive but differently named folders? I guess being away for a few days helped the grey matter!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.