Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My desktop is XP Pro w/ SP2. I have installed a Netgear WGX102 wall-plugged wireless range extender. After following the instructions I now get 100% signal strength right next to my desktop. When I click the access point for the WGX102 I get limited or no connectivity and a Automatic Private Address of 169.254.210.140 Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0.
Signal strength is excellent and I can't get access to web sites. and when I run ipconfig the default gateway is blank

When I try to access the same WGX102 access point on my Mac laptop I get online with no problems after entering the WGX102 password.

On the XP box I have Norton Internet Security. When I try to get connected Norton displays a message that I have connected to a Trusted site but still no access to the internet.

What am I missing? Is there a setting in Norton that I need to enable so I can utilize my WGX102?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
It sure is nice that Norton trusts that Auto config IP 169.254.x.y, since there's very little chance of having internet access with such an address! :)

A less optimistic person would try to get the network working w/o encryption first. Then enable it later.

If you don't know how to configure Norton for the desired access, uninstall it. Sometimes 'turn off' or 'disable' will suffice.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Good going. Now you can enable those one at a time, and figure out what configuration (Norton firewall) is needed for your LAN access. Probably something about allowing 192.168.1.x or whatever your subnet (IP range) is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.