Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3 that just died on me and looking at bestbuy they have a 9500GT 1GB DDR2 for 100 dollars.
So would this be so would this be an upgrade or a downgrade?

I have a P4 3.0 with 2GB RAM and really the newest game I play is bf2. Would I even notice the difference?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
A downgrade...:(

The 9500 uses a slower core and slower memory. The 1GB won't make a big difference since that amount of memory is pretty useless for low end cards. Nothing more than a marketing trick.

But I don't think that you will notice a big difference anyway as your CPU will be a bottleneck for a faster card.

My question is this though: Are you sure that the card died? What about your power supply unit? Was it enough for the 9600? If you have an old PSU from the P4 era then you may need to replace that first.

Anyway, I guess your m/b has an AGP slot...In that case you can consider the Radeon HD 4650, nice card for the money and faster than the 9500GT (slightly though). In case you have PCI-Express you could use the Radeon HD 4670 it's closer to the 9600 cards.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm pretty sure the card is messed up. "Just died" was my short way of saying that there has apparently been a small coolant leak on to the video card for a while, it started Buzzing, I cleaned it off with electronics cleaner, dried it off and now I get a good video bios screen, the motherboard bios has colored dots through it. The Windows loading screen is ok but the scrolling bar at the bottom has a weird pinkish hue. And the computer restarts just as windows loads. I can get into windows in safe mode but there are blue lines all over the screen.
Did I mention this is the second time it's gotten wet? The first time the screen went all crazy but no buzzing And I was able to get it working again by cleaning it, that was last year and it's was fine till it got wet again.

I put in an old 6200 which I am using right now and everything is fine.
I'm no expert so I will take any suggestions on getting it back but I think it's done.

I also used A coolmax PC/SPS Tester that you plug into the PSU for whatever that's worth (I think it checks Voltage not Amperage)

My motherboard is PCI Expressx16 and I have always used Nvidia Vid Cards so didn't really even look at Radeon.
They do have the HD4670 locally but it's 40 dollars more, If I won't notice the difference I would rather not spend it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Just order online and get a much better card for less money. Some (not all) retail stores have high prices...

Why are you using coolant on a video card? Use stock speed and enjoy the card... if a downgrade is considered - then water-cooling an overclocking a card isn't warranted.

A $65 ATI 4670 is about twice the performance of a 9500GT, but on par or a tad slower than a 9600GT (depending on version). If you're going to spend $100 on a video card, might as well upgrade to a 9800GT. If your PSU is powerful enough to handle powerful video cards.

$65 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141081
$85 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161287
$95~120 9800GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9800GT&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

$95+ 4850 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n=4850&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason I was planning on buying locally was that I didn't want my pc down while I waited for shipping. The 6200 in there now should hold me over for a few days though so I guess I should go with newegg and get more for less.

The coolant is for my proccessor and northbridge I had it on the 8500 but had not gotten around to making a waterblock for the 9600 yet. I don't bother with overclocking, the cooling system is just there so I dont have to have ten fans running on high.
I have one fan on the radiator running at 900RPMs, one blowing at the voltage regulators for the processor on low speed and the video card fan that throttles with temp.
My pc used to sound like a jet engine, now the loudest part is my HD. The cooling system is completely homemade and has been running for a few years without a problem till now. (the first time it got wet was me spilling on it, this was the first actual leak).

My PSU is 500 watts And I am running 1xHD 1xDVD 2x1GB RAM Sticks, vid card And two fans on low so I think my PSU will handle the 9800 I will look into it.

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
When you evaluate a pw supply, a wattage rating means next to nothing. It is the amp rating on the 12V rail that is important. With just about everything in a modern system being powered from the 12V rail, having a lot of watts on the 3.3V or 5V does you no good. It does however increase the wattage rating of the unit; hence why I state the wattage rating alone is worthless.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your input.
I ended up at a computer show and Bought an ASUS EAH4670 for 70 dollars.

The Anti Aliasing maxes out at 8x compared to 16x w/9600GT Which was kind of a bummer and the fan is a little loud but otherwise seems like a pretty decent card.

I have used ATI Tool on every Nvidia card I have ever had, My first Ati card and I cant Get it to work.
I click the icon and Ati tool comes up like a minute later and shows core: -1.#J MHz Mem: -1.#J MHz Then stops responding.
Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
As stated, the 4670 is slightly slower. AA 8x ~16x doesn't mean much. 4x AA is usually enough... but I play in 1920x1200 where AA is not as important.

- I posted about fan noise.... but most video cards are noisy.

- Go to www.ati.com and use the latest drivers from them. The ATI CCC software does what you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.