Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ~~ I may be eating my words as I once said I LOVED McAfee! Now I'm having probs. I contacted McAfee's support - you guys are quicker in replies so I thought I'd check here, too. Any way AROUND uninstalling McAfee Active Shield? Here's what I wrote to their support:

I am having problems with Active Shield. My taskbar shows the red M and when I right-click, then choose Active Shield, the only option I get is "Run". When I click Run, it tells me that there was a problem starting the program, to reinstall Active Shield. When I close that window, I have a window that reads "Active Shield is now protecting your PC from viruses!" I have tried numerous times to reinstall Active Shield. When I choose Add/Remove programs, the only option I have listed is McAfee VirusScan and when I try to remove that it gives me an error saying the Network connection from which I installed it is unavailabe. McAfee Active Shield is NOT listed in my Add/Remove programs box. When I try updating Active Shield, it tells me it is up to date. HELP! I am afraid my system is NOT being protected as it should.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Jody
Do not use McAfee myself but here is what I found about how to manually uninstall active shield.
Hope it helps. It is rather lengthly and I suggest you print it and before you do anything back up the registry.
For article Click Here
Hope it helps.
Dave

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave ~ I ended up wiping the registry of all remnants of McAfee TWICE and reinstalling Active Shield before realizing McAfee is not compatible with IE 6.0. ARGH! So I ended up reverting to IE 5.5 and now it is working fine. :)

Thanks Dave!

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Jody
Glad you got it worked out.
I noticed you said McAfee is not compatable with IE6.
I was not aware of that. Is there an article or some reference I can read to understand what may happen if someone upgrades to IE6 while using McAfee?
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.