Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Windows XP Home installed on my computer as my OS.

Recently, I've been cleaning out my computer by uninstalling programs that I haven't used for a while. However, the uninstallation of some programs fails.

For example, I have a software called JapaneseNow! (to learn Japanese) installed on my computer. However, trying to uninstall it pops up the error message that "Uninst.isu" cannot be found and therefore the uninstallation cannot continue. I already cleared off a software called SpanishNow! beforehand, which may have caused Uninst.isu to be cleared.

Another example I have is uninstalling an older version of Firefox. I currently have version 1.5.0.9 installed on my computer, but 1.0.2 is still installed and I cannot remove it (something about Uninstall Log Folder not found). This is some sort of registry problem, I believe.

I ran RegistrySmart and then uninstalled it after it fixed like 70 problems. My computer is still working fine. However, RegistrySmart picked up about a thousand problems, which I couldn't fix without upgrading to the paid version.

Can anyone recommend a safe and free registry fix program? I don't want the program to kill my computer, either.

Thanks a bunch guys.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
5,333 Posts
Hi there,
Others will probably offer you advice, but in the meantime please have a read other postings concerning registry cleaners. Please be very careful - I made a mistake a while ago that taught me a very valuable lesson.

Richard.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
I don't know of any free ones, I use Regsupreme, which has never yet crippled my computer, after several years of use. But have you tried the built in one - regclean?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Registry cleaners can be useful, but rarely do they "fix" anything other than very mildly speeding up XP response times. Registry cleaners remove invalid entries. When you uninstalled Spanish Now, for example, many registry entries were likely left behind that no longer have a connection to any files. XP quickly (nanoseconds) determines that they do not function and goes on to the next one. It takes tons of invalid entries to seriously degrade performance. Most errors concern valid registry entries that contain improper information and/or settings. Registry Cleaners won't change those. That takes knowledge of the registry and the use of Regedit. While I have made a few changes to my registry, I have done so only under the guidance of Microsoft MVPs. I suggest you do the same.

Often the uninstall exe for a program is included in its folder in Program Files. It can be run from there if found. Sometimes the install exe functions as an uninstaller if the program is already installed. Worth a try. Many utility programs include the ability to run uninstallers from an indexed list. Most commonly, CCleaner. (which is good to have anyway, and includes a safely employed registry cleaner under "issues") I suggest that you try these options, uninstall what you can/need, and then post back with your progress. Help and third party tools are available to aid in manual uninstallation, but since it involves getting into the registry, it is best left to extremity.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I understand the situation a little better now. I'll try installing to uninstall and see if that works.

However, I'm still confused about the Firefox older version still there. Do I have to remove the latest version of Firefox before I deinstall the older one?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have never really become familiar with Firefox. Went straight from IE to Opera. Might get faster/better response to that particular question in the "Browsers" area. Post back to this thread if it comes to manual uninstallation or other related issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Augie65 said:
You might need to completely uninstall your latest version of Firefox including your profile. Then reinstall version 1.0.2 and then uninstall from Add/Remove and delete the profile and Mozilla directory. If you want to use Firefox again, reinstall Firefox 2.0.0.1.
That works, thanks.

Alright so I guess the best way to completely remove something is to reinstall it... although some programs don't completely remove anyways, but that's okay.

Thanks a bunch guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.