Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Win 98 on a Compaq Presario with a cable modem. When I try to download files or load on line games, the download box comes up and the pages flip but no progress is made.
I have run a virus scan and it found no viruses. I've tried to download from the Microsoft site with no success.
If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply SavvyLady.
I Couldn't do much of what you suggested because I can't download from the net. Please explain "empty your cache". I've emptied my cookies and Temp. Internet Files with no change.The house call virus scan showed no virus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I happened to read that thread yesterday and did what it said to do. however I missed that last paragraph with the warning about "extention/extentions" I'm not sure which one I deleted.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
sorry JimboNel ... I get in to big of a hurry reading sometimes & tend to overlook things

ok... I need you to go to start/settings/control panel/internet tools.. then under General tab/Temporay internet files... click
delete files & when the other box pops up.. put a check in the little box & choose to delete offline files too.... when finished click ok

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The downloads thats not working...are they from the same place ... like microfsoft

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This unable to download occurs in Microsoft and other sites. My wife likes Boxerjam and I can't load the games from that site. It seems to block files from downloading.
I removed the "extension" under "plugins". I don't see any "extensions" under plugins. Did I screw that up?
I emptied the cache.
Iwas so anxious to get back to you guys that I forgot to try a download after I re-booted. I'll be right back .
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aftre following instructions, No change.
I do have McAfee but I don't think it was installed until after the onset of the problem. I had a cable repairman out today. He couldn't figure it out and as soon as he found that his laptop worked ok on my modem, he left.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I thought this sounded familiar.
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=60043

You posted this before. In all this time you haven't been able to Download at all?

Did you try right clicking and choosing Save Target as Or did you Download another Browser to see if you could Download with that?

You said you were going to do a partial restore. It didn't work?
Also, did you try an IE upgrade. Sometimes that will correct a problem.

Do you ever have a problem with IE telling you to try again. No connection to the Internet is Available? Do you have multiple User Identities set up?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.