Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Two Add & Remove Icons

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Lockeyp 
#1 ·
I have 2 add and remove icons in my control panel. How can I delete one of them with out effecting any of programs.

Answers on a post card to :)

Lockeyp

#3 ·
Right-click each icon and see if one is a shortcut. If so, you can safely delete it. The normal icon in the control panel is NOT a shortcut. Right-click on a normal control panel icon will give you the options to "Open" or "Create a Shortcut".

Raybro

#4 ·
Tried deleting one but no joy, tried right-clicking to find that neither of them are shortcuts. any more ideas.

Answers on a post card to :-(

Lockeyp

#7 ·
TheShooter93 -Tried deleting nothing happens

raybro - yes both of them do open the program window.

Answers on a post card to :-(

Lockeyp

#8 ·
Might I suggest you just leave it as is. They both work and you are unable to delete either. Microsoft builds quirky OS's and always has. The only concern I would have is the condition may possibly be a symptom of something more serious. Have you ran virus and spyware scans?

Raybro

#9 ·
After retrying them again neither of that populate properly it says that it is waiting for it to populate but it never does that happens for the both of them too

#10 ·
Do a search for Appwiz.cpl (which is the file name for the "Add Or Remove Programs" applet), then see how many entries it brings up.

The .cpl files for Windows XP are kept in the C:WINDOWS\System32\ folder.

Here is a good article about the Control Panel applets.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
I had a look in the system 32 folder to find that there was 2 Appwiz.cpl (1 & 2 ) so I deleted No2 leaving only one ADD & REMOVE icon. .... But the programs are still not populating (add& remove program list) How if any could I rectify this.

Lockeyp

#20 ·
Here's a little tidbit that you may want to consider. Some people report that after having installed MSE, the have the problem you are experiencing. Some report it takes as long as 10 minutes to populate the programs.

#23 ·
Phantom010 to answer your Q ) If you restore it, are the programs reappearing in "Add or remove programs"? it still does not populate the add & remove program. Sorry this will be my last note for tonight as Im in need of my ugly sleep work tomorrow. will carry on tomorrow.

Thanks So Far

Lockeyp

#25 ·
Sorry, I've not had my eye on the ball as late, but to answer Phantom010. No, I deleted #2 from the recycle bin, now everything seems to working fine in that area, it only take approx 30 - 40 sec to populate the add & remove dialog box.

I thank you again.

Lockeyp

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.