Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: turn off system restore....how?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JSntgRvr 
#1 ·
i'm running win xp pro...i got a couple of viruses and need to turn off system restore! i went to try to turn it off and it wont give me the option of doing so!something about group policy???? I never turned that on ! how do you turn off system restore like this?

thanx boogey

#3 ·
1. Turn off System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Restart the computer

2. Turn ON System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK..
  • Restart the computer

#4 ·
when my computer boots it goes straight to windows no other user on puter!!i'm assuming that makes me the administrater!!if not then iguess im not!! thanx anthony

i can not check the box turn off system restore no option to do so says something about group policy?????? dont know what that is! thanx anyway!!

#5 ·
Hi,
Ok we will need to get you on to the system admin account or edit the group policies.

Ok, well try the easier one.
Go to start > log off > log off.
When at the welcome screen press control + alt + delete twice together.
You will have the WIN2K box appear, type administrator as the username, and leave the password filed blank unless you specified one on setup of windows.

Once in try again, if not we'll have a look at the group policies.

Kind Regards
Anthony

#7 ·
Hi, boogey :)

Download the enclosed folder and extract its contents to the desktop. Once extracted double on the extracted file. It will produce a report for you. Post the contents of this report.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi,
You are in safe hands with JSntgRvr as he holds one of the gold shield icons. THis means he is a professional in removing alware, viri, trojans and the alike.

I will let him take over here, as there is a good change this was caused by Malware / viri / or a trojan.

Take Care,
Kind Regards
Anthony

#10 ·
Any idea what the green dot means then :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.