Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seasons greetings all

I have a new PC that I am using for my home studio set up (see pic), but yet again I seem to be having difficulty getting certain directories on this machine to see and be seen by our other home PC's/Laptops.

I have no internet access issues, and can send/receive email etc on the new PC, but can't get any of my other machines to see shared dir's on it, or to get it to see any other shared dir's on any other machines.

I have run the network setup wizard to no avail.

What do I do?

OS = XP Home Edition

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
What are the exact symptoms? Can you see the computer in other machines "Network Places"? Do you get an error attempting to connect to shared resources? We need to know exactly what happens, and the exact text of any errors. Also, the version and patch level of Windows in use.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John

WOW - fantastic response, thank you so much.

When I try to add and browse Network Places for other machines, I see the name of my workgroup, but no machines within that workgroup; and when I try the same thing on another netwroked machine - despite sharing several directories and drives on the new machine I see nothing.

On the new PC I am running XP Home Edition, SP2 on the new PC.

I can't see any shared resources to connect to them.

Many thanks John...

EDIT:

Ping info
When I ping new PC from existing Laptop - I get Request timed out
When I ping laptop from new PC I get a response

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
OK, first stop is to check the configuration of any firewall you have running. Failure to ping is almost always a firewall configuration issue.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: John - I am slightly embarrassed here. I spotted Norton Internet Security in installed as a freebie on this machine. I turned off that firewall and can now ping the new PC from the laptop.

Now to move to next step in trying to set up shared drives again.

John

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another Update:

Though I can ping to and from this new PC now, I still cannot get any drives shared on it to be seen on the network, neither can I see any currently shared drives on existing machines.

:(

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had some issues with Norton and file sharing in my network. I didn't have a antivirus/firewall for about 6 months (tut tut) and my new ISP provides norton 2006 so I re-formatted as XP Media Center and installed norton.

Do you have norton 2006? If so, I may be able to help.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Ok, load up norton main program.

Get into the personal firewall, Security basics > Personal firewall > configure.
Networking tab. Add RANGE to trusted tab. (192.168.xxx.xxx - 192.168.xxx.xxx)

Try that, if it doesn't work:
Add a Network address, then the IP of the computer(s) which you want access to the folders. Don;t forget to include the subnet (typically 255.255.255.0 unless you've configured it differently)

Sorry if the instructions don't match up but my Norton is ISP supplied and changed a bit!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I suggest you uninstall the free NIS altogether! :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jackdw said:
Ok, load up norton main program.

Get into the personal firewall, Security basics > Personal firewall > configure.
Networking tab. Add RANGE to trusted tab. (192.168.xxx.xxx - 192.168.xxx.xxx)

Try that, if it doesn't work:
Add a Network address, then the IP of the computer(s) which you want access to the folders. Don;t forget to include the subnet (typically 255.255.255.0 unless you've configured it differently)

Sorry if the instructions don't match up but my Norton is ISP supplied and changed a bit!
BINGO!!!!!!! superb stuff, thanks Jack and John.

Your help is appreciated very much, thanks.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Woot!

I was trying for 30 minutes last night to show family pictures stored on this PC, on the one downstairs (this rooms a complete tip) could I get them to share files? No...

Re-installed XP recently, and norton. Default settings, not to let other PC's on the network view your shared files. 30 mins later, it hit me. I could have shot myself...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.