Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is a trucker mainly in the USA but he is from Canada he wants to be able to connect to the web where ever he stops in the US. My question is how does he go about doing that . I understand he needs some sort of wifi card but who does he subsribe to ie:AT&T or sprint or any? I am not sure i am in the right area or using the right site but a little help if possible would be great thanks in advance.
This would have to be wireless b/c he always sleeps in his truck.

·
Trusted Advisor
6,957 Posts
The wireless technology best suited for him is not WiFi. It's cellular. 3G is probably the most pervasive and highest performing of the US based networks. He'll have to contact all the usual providers and ask them for a coverage map. Some areas have good coverage where he can get EVDO Rev A speeds. Some only at Rev 0. And some only on the old 1xRTT system which is a kin to dial up. Also many providers have roaming agreements with other carriers so check into this too.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Verizon is generally acknowledged to have the best coverage in the US, followed by AT&T. I agree with zx10guy, look at their coverage maps and see if he goes places where they don't have coverage.

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts
I recently had experience using the Verizon coverage map. It lied! On the other hand the ATT map was truthful.

Fortunately, I had a 30 day guarantee fromVerizon, so I did not lose any money, just some time, when I could not even make a connection to Verizon to set up. I then went to an ATT vendor and their map showed my location as not being viable.

{redoak}

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Interesting... I have AT&T, selected because they were cheaper. OTOH, I just have a voice plan, I have no use for crackberry or the like, I prefer my keyboards full sized. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all your help folks i will tell my buddy about all your suggestions. most likely tell about the smart phone ideas like iphone a little pricey but he drives truck he can afford it. also about the maps and at&t and verizon:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.