Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help I never ever had setup a wireless network. My major is Cisco Networking. But however I never had to setup a wireless network. Cisco talked more about connection-oriented network instead wireless networks. I can't setup my wireless router with my wireless laptop. Please can somebody help me! :down:

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, it would help a bunch if you told us something about the environment.

Make/model of the modem, router, and wireless card. Version and patch level of Windows in use.

Also, what are the EXACT symptoms of the failure you get, and what have you tried so far?

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my wireless adapter is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, my wireless router is NetGear model # MR814, used to have DSL modem, now have dial-up, and using Windows XP Media Center. My Laptop is a Toshiba, Intel Centrino Duo Core, 1.5 GB of Ram, 1.6 GHZ, and Harddrive Capacity 150 GB of Ram. That's it. Thanks! :up:

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Also, what are the EXACT symptoms of the failure you get, and what have you tried so far?
I'm trying to find out what you've done so far. Did you try following the procedure outlined in the setup instructions for the router? Can you connect to the DSL modem directly and get a connection?

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
What are you going to do with the wireless router if you don't have broadband?

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
If you have one laptop with dial-up service, I can't imagine how the router fits into the picture.

· Registered
1,967 Posts
The Netgear MR814 is a Cable or DSL router. It does not work on dial up. You might be able to hook up a computer on the back end that pretends to be an ISP, but I doubt it.
Besides, what's the point?

Courtney sends...

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I can't imagine going back to dial-up now! I can't even imagine going to DSL now that I have fiber optic connections. ;)

· Registered
114 Posts

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I "only" have the 15mbit/2mbit service, there is a more expensive 30mbit/5mbit service, but I didn't feel the need. :D

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Akmorph, you said you used to work for netgear, so it possible I can use the wireless router without DSL cable or modem. Because my newToshiba Laptop is Windows XP Media Center, 1.5 GB of Ram, 1.6 GHZ, Harddrive Capacity 150 GB, and Wireless adapter pre-installed. So is there a way using my dial-up with Netgear model MR814. :up:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.