Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have some issues with my internet connection and because i couldn't find a solution so i decided to ask for some tips.

The facts:
I have a cable internet connection through a Thomson TCM420 modem, 10Mbit download, 1Mbit upload. Recently I upgraded my computer and starting using the integrated LAN on my mobo and download speed dropped under 1mbit. The old NIC was a PCI 10/100MB Trendnet with Realtek 8139D chipset and everything worked fine. The integrated LAN has Realtek 8102E. The cable operator says everything is good on their side. I tried using different patch-cords, older and newer drivers but they don`t seem to work until i put my NIC in 10Mbs Full Duplex (in this mode i get about 60% of the speed). I googled a little bit and compared my modem signals and they seem to be very good. I`m running a 32bit Windows XP Pro SP3 and i don`t have any free PCI slots free (one is occupied by the TV tuner and the other is covered by the graphic card`s cooling system).

All suggestions are welcome :). Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mihai

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, it sounds like a compatibility issue or perhaps a power/grounding issue between the modem and the system. Have you tried a different cable? How about a cheap Ethernet switch between the modem and the computer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello my friend,

Yes, i tried both with the same results. I updated the on-board NIC with a recommended driver from Microsoft Update and still no luck. I thought of flashing/upgrading the modem firmware, but i couldn't find anything.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You put a switch between the computer and the modem?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I'd probably be looking for different NIC drivers in that case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, did that too :) with drivers from different sources (mobo cd and website, last realtek driver update, windows update and a couple of more sites). I`ll try to get hold of an external card or a PCI-E card to see if it works. The last and most complicated solution would for me to connect the modem via USB, because the modem i a little far from the computer :). Thank you very much for your help.

Take care,

mihai

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I would recommend against USB, I really don't like that for networking at all! A PCI internal card is the best option I would think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, totally agree with you here. I thought of 2 things: to change the cooling system on my video card (that covers the free PCI slot) or to get a mobo with a different layout. For now the internet connection is working a little bit better on 10MBs full duplex. Thank you very much for your support.

All the best,

Mihai

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.