Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At present my computer has been taken over by Internet Download Manager. Their logo is on almost every icon and when you click on an icon, IDM comes up. System Restore, no, instead IDM. Unless you can figure out a back door you can't get into any programs. Have about every repair program on the market but I can't get them to run. Finally made a copy and deleted IDM. Now everything comes up with a window that wants to know what program you want to use to open each thing with. Sometimes that is easy and sometimes can't find anything that works. Don't know if it is a Windows Problem or a tech problem or what. It occurred to me it might have something to do with associations but can't figure out how to find that to investigate. Have Dell Inspiron laptop. Can't seem to find the model number but it is about 3 years old and is very generic. I am running Vista Home Basic, etc. Any input that might help would be greatly appreciated. Joan

·
Registered
52 Posts
So you have got rid of IDM, and it does not appear when attempting to open programs?

If so what's your problem? Linking files to various programs so you can access/open them? Again, if so what files are you talking about, or is this every file.

This could be simple or complex, once all the files are allocated a path they shall open with that program all the time. But if this is more complicated than maybe you would be best to format and reinstall your OS. It seems like a lot of hassle you have to put up with to be honest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deleted IDM. Then say I wanted to go to Microsoft Works. it shows a window that say Microsoftworks.exe open with. That is fairly simple but some things are much more mysterious. There is one that comes up continually. "ssvagent.exe" Open with. I haven't the foggiest idea of what the program is and what I would open it with. I just keep going around in circles, getting no where.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Microsoftworks.exe does not need to open with anything as such because it is an executable file.
I suspect there is a major issue with your registry. Try this program and see what it says I am no expert with registry issues.

http://www.fileheap.com/software/microsoft_registry_checker.html

Also, how long have you used the computer? And it's obvious you have had virus problems in the past. Get AVG FREE and run a full scan too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.