Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed suse 10.2 on a dedicated pc. When I try to install software from the cd-rom I get either the message, 'can't mount media' or 'couldn't display...etc.'. Can someone please tell me how to install programs from a cd. My first time with Linux based systems. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am trying to install my Epson C80 printer with the installation disk, which opens a window with the all the files. When I click setup.exe I will either get a popup saying it count mount the media or an 'open with' window opens with a list of programs to open with comes up, none of these programs can start the auto install program. I downloaded avg free to my desktop and get the same thing when I try to install that. I am not familiar with dos or Linux systems so am really lost here. I'm beginning to think Linux is for tech savy people only. Thanks for your help, I try that and see what happens.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The problem is that you're trying to install Windows type applications on a Linux system. Linux doesn't use .exe executable commands. You'll probably need to find Linux drivers for you Epson printer. I'd try Epson's website for starters. You can install AVG in Linux (not needed, though). However, you'll have to download the Linux version of AVG from their site.

Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to thank both of you for your help, I appreciate it. However, I have decided that these Linux systems are not user friendly, nor are they ready for the average person to use. Hopefully, one day they will be improved to the point that anybody can install and use them as they would be a good alternitive to other more expensive and controlling systems on the market today.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'd have to disagree with you here, Alegro. However, to each their own, of course. I started Linux in July of last year. There is definitely a steep learning curve for folks who've come directly from Windows and have no (or very little) command line experience. Each distribution of Linux is somewhat different. SuSE is one of the most user friendly. There are others that may be more to your liking. I'd recommend Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS.

Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for their help and opinions. I've gone through 'Fedora core 5' and 'Suse 10.2', I started out on win 3.1 and never learned to use 'dos' so I am at a disadvantage in the Linux systems. I guess I am stuck with xp and vista and will continue to use their stuff. Thanks again to all.................Alegro.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.