Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an Excel 2000 spreadsheet in which I want to suppress the display of a formula result if the precedent cells are blank (thus avoiding the cell showing, and printing, something like "#DIV/0!". I've tried using IF(ISBLANK(C5) AND ISBLANK(C6)," ",C6/C5), but that's apparently a bad formula.

Please tell me how to achieve this.

·
Super Moderator
74,210 Posts
Try:

=IF(AND(ISBLANK(C5),ISBLANK(C6))," ",C6/C5)

Note: You will still show a #DIV/0! error if C6 has a value but C5 is zero or blank.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try:

=IF(AND(ISBLANK(C5),ISBLANK(C6))," ",C6/C5)

Note: You will still show a #DIV/0! error if C6 has a value but C5 is zero or blank.
Thanks; this should do it. It's too bad that the ability to suppress printing of things like "#DIV/0!" did not exist in Page Setup until Office 2003/XP. Perhaps it's time for me to upgrade, but I do NOT want Office 2007 with it's floating "ribbons" and horrendous learning curve.

·
Super Moderator
74,210 Posts
I do NOT want Office 2007 with it's floating "ribbons" and horrendous learning curve.
That is why I am sticking with Office 2003 for as long as I can. If I ever get to the point where it won't install with the current OS on a new computer, my learning curve is going to be for Open Office.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is why I am sticking with Office 2003 for as long as I can. If I ever get to the point where it won't install with the current OS on a new computer, my learning curve is going to be for Open Office.
It is amazing how much two people who have never met can have EXACTLY the same ideas. I'm going to do the same thing. But. . . when I finally retire and no longer have corporate clients, all of which use PCs, I'm seriously considering switching to Apple. The "stuff" coming out of Redmond (like Vista, Office 2007 and IE8) makes me doubt that they have an effective employee drug screening program! I'm also very dubious of their ability to produce useful software in the future.

·
Super Moderator
74,210 Posts
The "stuff" coming out of Redmond (like Vista, Office 2007 and IE8) makes me doubt that they have an effective employee drug screening program!
Thank you for a good laugh to start my day. :D

The last place I worked at had everybody using Apple Macintosh computers up until the late 1990's. The only PCs around were used by some of the engineers that used software that only ran on DOS or Windows based computers. When they switched everyone over to Windows based computers, they let people take their old Macs home if they wanted them.

·
Super Moderator
74,210 Posts
Apple IIs, were they? ;)
No, we never used the original "Apple II" computers. My first Mac was the Mac Lisa. However the last Apple computer most had were the "Apple Macintosh II",

Since I was testing and documenting Windows based software and using a Mac for writing the documentation, My Mac II had an Intel CPU expansion card installed in it that ran Windows 95. The Mac video output fed into the CPU card and then the monitor plugged into the CPU card. A special key press combination switched between the two independently running operating systems. The nice part was that I could share folders and the clipboard between them. I still have it sitting the basement collecting dust and rust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.