Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a laptop with a 160 GB hard drive. Thought it was big when I got it. Turns out Vista is a major space hog. Tried to upgrade, HP says I am limited to 200 gbs. Computer didn't like the 200 gb hd I found. Seems I am limited to 4800 rpms if I upgrade to 200 gb!

I am running Vista 32 bit SP1. Is there anyway to run some of the programs off an external drive? Between Vista and my programs, the drive is getting a lot fuller than I like for optimal use. I gave up on trying to dual boot it due to lack of HD space. I have multiple external drives available, both USB and Firewire.

Any Vista files I can drop without affecting the OS?
Computer is less than 2 years old and mostly works well, I really don't want to replace it yet if I don't have to.
thanks

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
If you have a 160 GB drive, then probably only about a tenth of that is Vista. The majority is filled with programs you have installed.

How full is the drive and how are you determining how much is used? Vista uses a lot of space for shadow copies and restore points, but automatically reduces that usage depending on available space. So even if the drive appears full, you may have a lot of space still available if you need it.

Programs cannot be installed to external drives for the most part. You may be able to install some if you create a Program Files folder on the drive. But that will not help your space issue too much since only part of installed programs goes in the Program Files folder. Installations place files in multiple locations all over the drive so any programs you install will make the space on the system drive shrink, even if installed to externals.

You can uninstall any Windows features that you don't use in Programs and Features. But you may want to analyze the disk usage and see where all the space is being used.

Disk Pie
TreeSize
Xinorbis
AssessTree
Directory Size Calculator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think there were that many restore points until I went into system restore and found there were about 8 of them. And none the one I set.

I show as using 72.5 GB's, and yes programs are up to 25 gb - 15 of which is Cakewalk. Oh well.

Well, thanks for the info. I guess I may have to think about upgrading. I should just spend the money and get what I need in the first place:)

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
You'll be happier in the long run if you don't try getting around the fact that you need as bigger drive.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is, the hard drive is as large as it can be on this computer. I have tried to update it only to be told by HP that I am stuck. (it crashes) I have tried partitioning the drive before installing it. still is not happy. Not sure if it is the chipset or if it is the power - if I upgrade to 200 gb, I have to drop to 4800 rpms (7200 doesn't work either. I now own a whole bunch of different notebook size hard drives) I am trying not to have to upgrade computers because this one is fairly new for me but it is looking bad. Oh well

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Instead of pumping money into upgrading laptops, you should just invest in a decent desktop for your main workstation and use the laptop for portability/light work.

Laptops make poor workstations compared to even mid-range desktops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds great except I travel a lot for work and a desktop just doesn't travel well. I also have more time to play with my music on the road since there isn't much else to do in a hotel room. Sorry, I have been struggling with this issue for almost 6 years now. I have been cheap, I need to get a decent computer through Costco - I will get 90 days to determine whether it is a piece of junk or the perfect machine, not the 14 days Fry's gives me. Though Fry's prices are really good:)

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Laptops make poor workstations compared to even mid-range desktops.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why do you think that? I know that I and a lot of others I know have thought about going the route of just using a laptop for everything.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Take a look at the specials at TigerDirect, too. I get most everything from them and they have some incredible sales.

My laptop was more powerful, had more memory, and had a clearer image than my desktop for a long time. I guess I still like my desktop, but if I could choose only one, it would be the laptop. I could always connect it to a monitor, mouse (I always use a regular mouse on the laptop, anyway), and regular keyboard. But I couldn't carry the desktop very far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.