Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may be better in the network forum but I think the problem is hardware related.

My system is as follows:

Asus A7V266 MB
AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU
1 GB RAM (PC2100) (2x512 mb)
NetGear WG311T wireless adapter
30 GB Hard drive
Windows XP SP2 (all updates downloaded)

The problem:

I was having all kinds of blue screen problems so I took out all my PCI cards and updated the drivers and BIOS and repaired windows. I put the wireless card back in. The blue screen problems have stopped and the computer seems stable but I cannot get the wireless network to work.

I connect to the network just fine. The wireless network icon in the system tray shows I am connected at 54 Mbps and signal strength is strong. The problem is the network does not work. I cannot even ping the router. It does work intermittently, but most of the time does not work

My feeling is the MB is bad, but before I go ahead and build a new system I would like to make sure.

A few other points:

I have a laptop on the same wireless network that works with no problems.

The chipset fan was broken and I have replaced it. I noticed the broken fan when the blue screen problems started.

The wireless card is new and worked for a couple of weeks.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
paul2432 said:
This thread may be better in the network forum but I think the problem is hardware related.

My system is as follows:

Asus A7V266 MB
AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU
1 GB RAM (PC2100) (2x512 mb)
NetGear WG311T wireless adapter
30 GB Hard drive
Windows XP SP2 (all updates downloaded)

The problem:

I was having all kinds of blue screen problems so I took out all my PCI cards and updated the drivers and BIOS and repaired windows. I put the wireless card back in. The blue screen problems have stopped and the computer seems stable but I cannot get the wireless network to work.

I connect to the network just fine. The wireless network icon in the system tray shows I am connected at 54 Mbps and signal strength is strong. The problem is the network does not work. I cannot even ping the router. It does work intermittently, but most of the time does not work

My feeling is the MB is bad, but before I go ahead and build a new system I would like to make sure.

A few other points:

I have a laptop on the same wireless network that works with no problems.

The chipset fan was broken and I have replaced it. I noticed the broken fan when the blue screen problems started.

The wireless card is new and worked for a couple of weeks.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Paul
Try downloading Everest Free at http://www.lavalys.com to inventory all of your hardware. It checks the SMART health of your disks, the temperatures of your system, and the speed of the fans. Save both Quick and Full Reports.

At least its a starting point to collect hardware information.

Others will chime in with help regarding the network software setup when the network hardware components are verified to be in stable working order - have you checked the Device Manager status of all of the hardware devices, esp. the network devices?

-- Tom

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just a simple thought. Do you have all the security off on your router? WEP, MAC filtering etc. I find it is best to set up a wireless network with all security off. Then once it it up add it in.

Steve L

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I agree with Steve, I have problems with my wireless connection to our home network on occasion and WEP was the last cause.

ALSO, check to make sure that you are not actually hooked to a neighbor's wireless network by mistake! :eek: This has happened to me also. Can you access the net, but not the home network???

Another also, is to make sure that you have your system set to automatically assign the IP and DNS entries.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done the everest report. The report is long so I attached it.

If I can give anymore detail please let me know. As I said in the OP post, the network works intermittently. I can browse a couple of sites and then things stop working.

I downloaded the Everest program to my laptop and then copied to the desktop using the wireless network. It took three times before copy could be completed without the network connection getting dropped.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
winbob said:
I agree with Steve, I have problems with my wireless connection to our home network on occasion and WEP was the last cause.

ALSO, check to make sure that you are not actually hooked to a neighbor's wireless network by mistake! :eek: This has happened to me also. Can you access the net, but not the home network???

Another also, is to make sure that you have your system set to automatically assign the IP and DNS entries.
Thanks for the response. I do aquire IP/DNS automatically without any problems. There is an unsecured network in my building. I have problems with it as well. It works intermittently. I am also fairly sure the problem is not a DNS problem. I have pinged servers by IP address and get a no response.

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I solved this problem by building a new system. The network card that was giving me trouble works in the new system, so I am pretty sure I had a bad MB.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.