Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a question JohnWill?
I know you're a moderator but do you need 'special' equipment for the job?
How in the "he**" are you getting a download speed of 15.6 Mb/second? The best I can do is 4.3. We REALLY need to talk, PM me LOL ........ Dave

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The only "equipment" I got to be moderator was some configuration of the board software to give me moderator privileges. :D

The download/upload speeds are a result of having Verizon FiOS fiber service. Since it cost the same as Comcast's much slower offering, it was an easy choice. :) FWIW, my services is quoted as being 15mbit/2mbit, and whenever I've tested, it comes pretty close.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
JohnWill said:
The download/upload speeds are a result of having Verizon FiOS fiber service. Since it cost the same as Comcast's much slower offering, it was an easy choice. :) FWIW, my services is quoted as being 15mbit/2mbit, and whenever I've tested, it comes pretty close.
I have FiOS too and love it, soon there will be FiOS TV but now there's some lock in my area so only Comcast (previously Adelphia) can offer TV. I have the level down from JohnWill (you're going to make fun of me for it :p ) and have 5127 down and 1486 up; the advertised speed is up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps. Once you get to about 8MB/second download speed it really makes no difference because then you see a lot of Waiting for [site name]....... in the lower-left hand corner, meaning that the server is slowing you down, not you internet acess.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I was paying Comcast $42/mo for the 6mbit/384kbit service, and FiOS is $44.50, and it's been really solid so far. I could have gone for the 5mbit/2mbit service for less money, but then I couldn't brag to all of you how fast my service is! :D

Here's a download where I actually got all the bandwidth, other than occasionally from places like Microsoft, I'm limited by bottlenecks in the Internet rather than my pipe. ;)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
JohnWill said:
Well, I was paying Comcast $42/mo for the 6mbit/384kbit service, and FiOS is $44.50, and it's been really solid so far. I could have gone for the 5mbit/2mbit service for less money, but then I couldn't brag to all of you how fast my service is! :D

Here's a download where I actually got all the bandwidth, other than occasionally from places like Microsoft, I'm limited by bottlenecks in the Internet rather than my pipe. ;)

Well I can brag that I pay less and get the same speed. :p

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Sure, but does yours come in on fiber directly to your house? ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

^ - Not bad for 8mbps ADSL eh?

Knew about that site before.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
ferrija1 said:
Yes, thank you. :p :up:
I guess I'm going to have to call Verizon and upgrade to the 30mbit/5mbit service to shut you up. :p:p:p

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
JohnWill said:
I guess I'm going to have to call Verizon and upgrade to the 30mbit/5mbit service to shut you up. :p:p:p
That's something like $180/month.

I'm moving next to Verizon's building and getting OC-768 line wired into my house. :cool: ;)

hmmmmm...though I could always get a 2-inch thick (or so) fiber-optic cable that could: easily carry the sum of all types of current data transmission needs for the entire planet. (~100 terabits per second per fiber [1])
-Wikipedia -- Optical Fiber History

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Heres a more on-peak one.
I live quite a way from the exchange and was predicted 6mb when i signed up. The router says this:
Broadband connection details:
Downstream 8,096 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

8.09mbit. Not bad eh?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.