Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded a prog called Bounce Spam Mail. It is supposed to allow you to 'bounce' spam back to senders so it looks like the recipient address doesn't exist (thus, hopefully, preventing further spam being sent).

However, I've never been able to get it to work. Has anyone else used this program?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok..thanks guys. I don't use any spam filters because of the risk they'll catch genuine emails. If I have to filter spam into a separate folder and then go through it all to check whether it's spam or not, I might as well check and delete from the inbox in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,584 Posts
As above, "bouncing" spam simply eats up internet bandwidth for no gain.

Once a spammer sets up an account, they never revisit it. Its a one time operation until shut down by the ISP. The spammer never knows or cares, any responses are to links in the email for which the spammer gets paid per hit.

Bouncing only makes you feel better but costs us all in traffic charges and bottlenecks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kiwiguy said:
As above, "bouncing" spam simply eats up internet bandwidth for no gain.

Once a spammer sets up an account, they never revisit it. Its a one time operation until shut down by the ISP. The spammer never knows or cares, any responses are to links in the email for which the spammer gets paid per hit.

Bouncing only makes you feel better but costs us all in traffic charges and bottlenecks.
OK..but then why are we advised never to respond to spam, even to click the 'remove me' link, because that simply confirms that your address is 'live'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,584 Posts
Because the "remove me" link never goes back to the email address that was the source in any spam I have bothered to look at, it usually goes to a separate web address where your email can be databased for on-sale to yet more spammers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57,788 Posts
MailWasher is real good.
http://www.mailwasher.net/

I got a older free version and do not get any spam. :D

Well I used to get spam with my last ISP that was Pacbell and then used Mailwasher to bounce mail and it was doing a good job as I started getting less spam.
Then Pacbell became SBC/Yahoo and it was ok still but the they changed the email server over to Yahoo and all the spam I was getting stopped and I was getting more spam but all from new places.
So Yahoo was spamming me.
But then I got comcast and everything was all new. I setup my email accout and said NO to getting any new letter or anything from comcast. You can opt-out but read the find print your see they give your address to 3 partys too and it will not stop that email.
So best to setup new accout and Protect your address. Never use it to sign up for anything or give it to friends that forward email all over the place as they will give out your address.
Just keep things safe by using web base email to sign up for anything and watch what your doing. Use a email user name that is not a user name you use any where else too. Use a name with number etc so they can not just spam the ISP easy. Names like bill and sue are to easy because every ISP has someone with that name. Use something like Surr*[email protected]
2 and a half years and I have not gotten any spam from my ISP.
Was feeling funny at first as I was not getting mail like I was butI got over it because it was all spam before. Really nice not getting spam.
I got 3 webbase accounts and only get spam from one of them too. Well get it from hotmail too but have it so it goes to the trash and gets deleted so I never see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kiwiguy said:
Because the "remove me" link never goes back to the email address that was the source in any spam I have bothered to look at, it usually goes to a separate web address where your email can be databased for on-sale to yet more spammers.
Ah...many thanks Kiwiguy..bit by bit I learn :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hewee..thanks for your comments too...good advice. Sorry for the delayed reply, your post must have come in while I was replying to Kiwi so I didn't see it until now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have been getting over 100 spam mails per day on one of my Yahoo mail accounts. What I did was logged on, took all the important stuff off, and out of my email folders, then deleted the account.
I really am sorry that I had to do it, but I have no idea how or if we can just change a charactor in the email address...so the spam doesn't hit me anymore. I'm going to majorly miss my email address though.
I also have 2 paid accounts on Yahoo, and get spammed on an hourly basis. I can't delete those accounts, well, unless I want to pay all over again.
Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused: :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,998 Posts
Welcome to TSG Forums.

You should start a new thread rather than posting inside of another.

People probably get large amounts of spam because of their surfing habits. I manage to get maybe 12 per day for 2 accounts (that's 6 per account, approx). I don't use any email rules or spam programs or block addresses for those accounts.

I have a Yahoo! email account in addition. There, I have taken advantage of their spam filtering and blocking addresses. That account has 165 in the bulk folder and 5 in my inbox right now. Looks like about 17 days worth going by the dates (a little under 10 per day, avg).

Click on Mail Options for setting up what Yahoo! has available. If you need more help than what is in options, click their help button.

sekirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Mailwasher is the best anti spam program I've tried. I like the free version so much I may get the better one for adding multiple email addresses (or a free version of it :rolleyes: )
mailwasher

hewee said:
MailWasher is real good.
http://www.mailwasher.net/

I got a older free version and do not get any spam. :D

Well I used to get spam with my last ISP that was Pacbell and then used Mailwasher to bounce mail and it was doing a good job as I started getting less spam.
Then Pacbell became SBC/Yahoo and it was ok still but the they changed the email server over to Yahoo and all the spam I was getting stopped and I was getting more spam but all from new places.
So Yahoo was spamming me.
But then I got comcast and everything was all new. I setup my email accout and said NO to getting any new letter or anything from comcast. You can opt-out but read the find print your see they give your address to 3 partys too and it will not stop that email.
So best to setup new accout and Protect your address. Never use it to sign up for anything or give it to friends that forward email all over the place as they will give out your address.
Just keep things safe by using web base email to sign up for anything and watch what your doing. Use a email user name that is not a user name you use any where else too. Use a name with number etc so they can not just spam the ISP easy. Names like bill and sue are to easy because every ISP has someone with that name. Use something like Surr*[email protected]
2 and a half years and I have not gotten any spam from my ISP.
Was feeling funny at first as I was not getting mail like I was butI got over it because it was all spam before. Really nice not getting spam.
I got 3 webbase accounts and only get spam from one of them too. Well get it from hotmail too but have it so it goes to the trash and gets deleted so I never see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I closed one of my Yahoo email accounts right out, as it was a free account. I also have 2 paid accounts that is not so easy to close out. On those accounts, I was getting between 25 and 100 spams a day. I decided to take the time and one by one, unsubscribe/remove me. I am down now to 1 spam per day (average). Not bad if it keeps working.
I also downloaded a-Squared that gets rid of the spy cookies. It was free for a trial period, but I am going to definitely purchase it. I am waiting now to get a new modem for my Dell, then I will put it on that computer.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top