Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am having a sound problem with my HP Pavilion N5415 Laptop. (I am having alot of sound problems. I have another computer that the sound broken.) I tried reinstalling Windows but it didn`t help.

Brennan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean is when I open AOL Radio, It says there is a Directsound driver Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code 88780078. When I try Windows Media player It says I don`t have a sound card installed. I would search on-line for the driver, but I cant figure out what card I have.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
go to Start/ Right click My Computer/ Properties//Hardware/Device Manager.... there should be your sound card listed there in the Sound section.... but better to get a driver reinstalled from the manufacturers site rather than via the Device Manager's prompt. By the way do you see a red or yellow icon there in the Device manager?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All that is listed is:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs
Also there are no Exclamation Marks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried downloading the driver from HP and ESS, and when I install it automatically(with setup.exe) There is always an error message that says Audio Installation False. If I go to Add New Hardware and tell it Have Disk and select A1.inf, and click next it says there is a fatal error. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the sound once worked. I did a factory restore to remove spyware and after that the sound stopped working. There isn`t anything under other, But there is a"Unknown device" under sound, video, and game controlers.

·
Retired Administrator
104,767 Posts
Ok, that is more than likely your REAL sound card. Can you choose 'update drivers' and point the search towards either the download from HP or your driver cd?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok it says A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you`ve seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adaquate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with hardware venderer for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, the select safe mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xf2c96d21, 0xf9e8f940, 0xf9e8f640

*** es198x.sys - Address F2c96d21 base at f2c6e000, DateStamp 3bb24a2f

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have tried that. I used their email support and they sent me to the sound card manufacturer`s driver. thats what I have been using. In the end they said it was a hardware problem, but I don`t believe that because the Device manager says there is no driver for the unknown device.

·
Registered
46,025 Posts
Sorry, I deleted my post because I saw you'd "been there, done that".

Have you tried uninstalling the current drivers and cancelling the automatic reinstall on restart -- then running the setup.exe from the downloaded update? Obviously you have some kind of essolo drivers running to get that error message

I hesitate to suggest it, but if you are willing to take the risks associated with BIOS updates, you might want to try that.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...228&product=65184&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob762en

The risk is that you can be left with a dead computer -- fairly rare, but it does happen.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.