Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sound card is no longer found by my PC. I ran DXDIAG and it says none found. It was working fine and then about a month ago it just disappeared. I've tried searching and updating drivers but no luck. I have HP Pavilion 8860 with WinME. Specs says:
Sound/audio
Compatibility
3-D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit Sound
Controller
AC97 codec
So, that sounds like it's onboard. In devices I have Crystal WDM Audio Codec, Gameport Joystick, MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device, and Sound Blaster 16 or AWE 32 or compatible (WDM). Now, I may have added that sound blaster - I've done so many things now I can't recall. But it's the one that's not working - says either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. I go to "update driver" and find it on my PC but it's still not working.
Any ideas what to do next?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Get rid of Windows ME
How much time and equipment do you have on hand. I know this is a pain but if you have a spare hard drive install an operating system on it and see if it works there. If your sound card is onboard you can always disable it and buy a new one since they are very cheap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm stuck with ME until I get a new pc - I tried upgrading to XP and had nothing but trouble so I am resolved not to do that again. I don't have any extra hard drives. If I have to buy a sound card, that's what I need to do. Just don't know how to find out what's good and what will work on my pc. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More problems - I purchased a Dynex 5.1 sound card. Got home and it said OS 2000 & xp (I have ME). Called tech and they said it should be ok. Installed and let it find the driver on the CD - when it came up there were 4 choices so I chose the one that said ME. All ok. But still no sound or speaker icon. In Device mgr it has the sound card and says it's working. In driver info, there are several things listed - C:windows\system32\drivers\envy24hf.sys; C:windows\system\VMM32.VXD(ntkern.vxd); C:windows\system32\A3D.DLL; C:windows\system32\AUDIO3D.DLL. Also says there are no device conflicts. Going into control panel, sounds and multimedia, in devices it shows the sound card. In the audio and voice tabs there are no preferred devices listed for playback, recording, etc. The speakers are on and I have some headphones plugged in....nothing. (though when I shut down I do hear some "click" from the speaker). So I uninstalled the driver (with the CD), rebooted then when asked to search for driver I cancelled (per sound card manual). After PC was up and running, I put in CD, clicked install drivers and got a message "OS NOT SUPPORTED", click ok. I did - next option was to finish "end setup" - no option to go on. I shut down & restarted pc. As it was starting up got the box that says updating system settings or something like that. It never completed - locked up. Each time I rebooted, kept hanging up in that same spot. I finally went into Safe mode and got in that way so I could go back to a restore point. Rebooted after restore and then tried to "let it find the driver" using the cd. It went though but still no speaker icon and no sound. Does this sound like it's just not going to work with my PC and I need to get another one? Or is there something else I should try?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Howard: If you have the new card in, check your Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices> Audio tab and make sure that you select your card from the dropdown list.
This happened to me a while ago and when I selected my new sound card as default, I got my sound back.
Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the audio tab, everything is grayed out - I can't access the dropdown box to indicate what my preferred device is. I returned the other sound card and purchased a new today (for winME). Installation went fine. But no sound. I do have a volume control icon, but when I click on anything (like speaker setting or equalizer) it says the audio device supported by this application is not detected. There is a diagnostics on the software cd, and it says Hardware Detection passed, but the Wave, MIDI, Mixer & DirectSound3D drivers all failed, as well as the Mixer Settings Check. So, I reloaded them, and the same thing happened. Does this sound like a problem with my PC instead of the sound card (either on-board or the new one)? PS: the new sound card I purchased is Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Did you get into your BIOS and check if you have disabled the onboard sound?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, I'd disabled the on-board sound. I e-mailed Creative and they suggested I move the new card a slot away from the AGP slot. I'll have to look up what the AGP slot is, but since I only have one other open slot, I'll move the sound card there, do a cleansweep/uninstall then reinstall and hope for the best. I'll repost a note then. Thanks

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Gma: The AGP slot is usually the top slot and is a different color than the PCI slots. You can just move the card, no need to uninstall and reinstall anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you. I moved the card - still getting message "the audio device supported by this application is not detected." Sound card is listed in device manager and says it's working with no conflicts; I double checked that on-board sound was still disabled; I have no preferred device options in the control panel, sounds and multimedia> audio tab; speakers are working and plugged in - even tried a headset with no luck. This is so frustrating. Thank you for your patience with me.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Gma: Well, I'm stumped. In your Audio tab, do you see anything when you click on the little down arrow beside the box in Sound Playback> Default device?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Here is a screen shot of mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry I've been unable to respond sooner. When I click on the audio tab, there is nothing to click in the down arrow beside sound playback, sound recording or midi music playback. It's greyed out and says no playback devices and no recording devices in the first two boxes and nothing is in the last box for midi music playback.

·
Registered
109 Posts
hey did you get this problem fixed because i seem to have the same problem ....

no playback .. all greyed out
i have soundblaster live 5.1 and have tried many many drivers...
none seem to work...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not get the problem fixed. I've been working with Creative Technical support and told them every setting for sound and in bios, but in the end they said - see if the sound card works on another PC - if it does, it's a problem with your PC. If not, I'm to e-mail them back. I'm guessing it's a problem with my PC - maybe a fault in the motherboard?? (I'm guessing because I don't know what else it could be). I don't have another pc set up yet to try it on - waiting on a new OS to install on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i got mine fixed..
my HD was partitioned so i just installed a fresh copy of windows on another drive
and when i got into windows my sound worked automatically ...
really weird but i dont have any creative software and i wont install it because their sofware starts all the messing up...
thats just my opinion

so just partion ur hd or back up ur impt stuff and reinstall winodws i thikn it shud be fine..

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I am kind of comfused, Why are you contacting Creative? I did a little searching and the Dynex card is not made by creative. You can get yourself a Creative Sound Blaster 16PCI for around $30 US from WalMart. This is supported by all flavors of windows up to XP. I have use several of them and they work quite well. Never had driver problems with them either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest install was Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit. I was questioning partitioning my hard drive to try to reinstall OS and see if that helps, but since partitioning info says it will erase everything, why wouldn't I just totally reinstall without partitioning? I don't really want to reinstall since I have ME and it takes me hours to reload all the updates and all the other things I've added since I purchased. Files are backed up, but all those extras (ugh) - I hate to think of having to do that again but can't live without them. But if that's what it will take to get the sound back, that's what I will do. Advice?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.