Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...So my computer had a 3.0 ghz intel 4. processor...i recently upgraded to a intel (d) with a higher ghz...my computer only recognizes the3.0 ghz because my bios needs updated. But when I got to hp to try and update the bios it's only available for vista and my comp. is partitioned with xp and windows 7...someone please help!

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
The windows bios updates tend to be a little risky as it is..if a problem occurs..good chance of ending up with a dead board.
A bios update with your machine still may not show the full speed of the cpu..as it may be multiplier dependent...naturally those options are missing on an hp bios[Unless there have been recent changes]

If you still want to update the bios..I would do it under vista...that means you would have to get another HDD...put vista on...do the update..or reformat your current setup.

Hard drives are not very expensive these days...after you are done with it you can get an enclosure and use it for an external

Before I did the bios update I would want to be certain that I would be able to use the new cpu at its fullest before taking the risk

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
IMO its risky..as you are tossing an application into the equation now...furthering your chances of a failure.
Before I went any further I would want documentation that the bios update will run the new cpu at its stated speed.

You can also look up that bios version and see if it is also available on the hp site for any systems with 7.
Generally vista and 7 are about the same regarding drivers installers etc..its the same kernel ...but with a bios update I wouldnt take a chance...I would want to be 100 percent certain that it is ok to use the vista file.....there is a chance you can use it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what your saying is it might be possible to put the drivers on a flash drive and upload it via win.7?? And if it doesnt work...what is the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes...I have tried this already. But whenever I try it it says I don't meet the minimum requirements...Idk what to do. I assumed it meant since I wasnt using vista as my os

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok...newb mistake...my bad lol. It only runs 3.0 ghz...ok but I got one last question. If you were me and wanting to get more fps in a game...would u use the intel d with a nvidea evga gee force 430, or use the intel 4 (which is overclocked) and a evga gee force 450?? It's gotta b one or the other because I'm on a budget and cant afford the intel d and 450 both lol

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
I know very little about cards and what are good setups for gaming..there are some gamers on here though hopefully someone who has knowledge of the setup your propose will see this soon and chime in...if not I would just mark this thread solved and start a new one about a gaming setup in hardware

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.