Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the days of DOS, I used to have a tiny utility that displayed a small "+" sign in the upper left corner of the monitor whenever the hard drive head was active. Anybody know if such a thing is available today, and from whom?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Your post made me think I'd like to have something like that myself, so I ran a Google search and found this little goodie. I downloaded it and when tried to install, a pop up window said I needed .NET Framework 2.0 50727 to run it. The prog offered to do it for me but since I prefer to do that kind of stuff manually, I canceled out and ran another search for the file. Found it on a Microsoft site and started the download using FDM. Since I'm on dial up and it's a pretty large file (22MB), I'll set up FDM before I go to bed to finish the download and then shut down my system.

Anyway, you can check out the link and see if you are interested.

Raybro

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for finding DKHardDrive-Light, raybro. I have all the .NET Frameworks thru 3.5 + all service packs, so downloaded and installed it. It has one major flaw: It displays in the systray. If you set your taskbar to auto-hide to provide a bit more display area, it's not visible. I also discovered that it's red most of the time, meaning the drive head is moving, because while I'm working, I listen to Internet radio. Apparently the HD is continually downloading the buffer (in packets), so it's active every so many seconds just doing that. In addition, I have Google Desktop installed. In case you don't know what that is, it's a program that indexes every file and every word in every document and e-mail on your HD so you can find anything you want by just knowing one or two words in it (them). In order to do that, it must always be loaded and is always actively indexing as documents and e-mails are created or downloaded, when files are added, etc. This makes for an almost-always-active HD.

On top of all that, I have a relatively new computer and the HD is SATA. Don't know if this is actually true or not, but my observation is that SATA drives are FAR more active than IDE drives, which I had in my previous computer; just the "nature of the beast." That also contributes to the DKHardDrive-Light program showing a red square 90% of the time.

Given all this, I'm going to uninstall DKHardDrive-Light and give up on the idea of an on-screen HD activity indicator. I'll mark the thread as solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.