Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been using Windows Media Player 10 and on my desktop, the music and video files skip, as if the computer is loading even though nothing else is running. It gets annoying to hear the audio blip several times a minute. It only does it on my desktop which has an Athlon XP 2600+, 512 MB DDR, 160 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. I have no idea what is causing it. My laptop which has a Pentium 4 mobile 1.8 Ghz, 512 DDR, 30 gig (slower hd, 4200 rpm I think) doesn't have this problem at all. With my laptop I even tested it by playing MP3s back while opening many programs and never once did the sound make a skip sound as if the processor was having a hard time playing back the music in addition to loading all the programs.

Any ideas on the causes? It happens with every file. Is it the difference between the P4 and Athlon? Any recommendations?

Here is a High Jack This scan. Any thing running that should be deleted? I've scanned with Spy Bot and removed anything that has been found.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:00:52 AM, on 1/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\IAMAPP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X5100 Series\lxbabmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X5100 Series\lxbabmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ISP50\Bin\Bartshel.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe
C:\Program Files\U.S. Robotics\Instant Update\InstUpDt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ISP50\bin\ppshared.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISUM.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\SymProxySvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\ATRACK.EXE
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\ISP50\Bin\Bartshel.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ISP50\dialer\DIALER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Justin Wolfe\My Documents\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.peoplepc.com/search
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.peoplepc.com/homepage
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://home.peoplepc.com/search
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\Toolbar\PPCToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\Toolbar\PPCToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\IAMAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X5100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X5100 Series\lxbabmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Bart Station] C:\Program Files\ISP50\BIN\PPCOLink -STATION
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPCRunonce] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PPCRunOnce.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\system32\mstask.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NBJ] "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\NBJ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Instant Update.lnk = C:\Program Files\U.S. Robotics\Instant Update\InstUpDt.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1102052436480
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7642477E-2C46-4DE7-86C3-1518BBC084E5}: NameServer = 204.157.3.13 205.137.48.5

Thanks for the help,
Justin

·
Super Moderator
37,540 Posts
Hiya

The log is clean, so lets sort out those running programs.

NvCplDaemon: Intializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Enable if you overclock your card. Up to you

nwiz: Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to immensely improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system. Not needed

C-Media Mixer: C-Media produce audio chipsets that are often found on popular motherboards with on-board audio. Provides System Tray access to change audio settings. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel or Start -> Programs. Not needed

iamapp: AtGuard personal firewall engine. As Atguard was bought by Symantec some time ago, it's now the Norton Personal Firewall executable as well. Keep

Lexmark X5100 Series: System Tray application that enables scan or fax functions to run directly from the printer via the buttons. Can be launched from a desktop shortcut. Up to you

NeroFilterCheck: Associated with "Nero Burning Rom" CD writing software. Checks for driver issues. Up to you

vptray: System Tray icon for Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition. Gives access to the options available and may not be required. Some users may have problems - refer here

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=v...&[email protected]

up to you

Bart Station: Related to PeoplePC ISP. May be a dialler for dial-up accounts? Not sure, leave

PPCRunonce: Not sure, leave for now.

NvMediaCenter: System Tray icon used to manage settings for nVidia based graphics cards. May be required for some 3D applications to recognize your card correctly - such as the game "Everquest". Otherwise, settings can be changed manually via Display Properties. Up to you

Symantec NetDriver Monitor: Part of Symantec's LiveUpate (eg, Norton). Not required if you run manual upadtes but probably require if you leave them to run automatically. Also, if one runs a small office network and SNDMon is disabled on one of the computers – then other computers disappear from the network for this computer, including shared devices like printers and scanners. Up to you

SchedulingAgent: MS Scheduling Agent displayed as a box with a stopwatch in the System Tray that is only needed if you have regular scheduled disk defragmenting, ScanDisk, etc. Required if you have regularily scheduled events such as weekly virus scans. Up to you

AIM: AOL Instant Messenger. If connected to the internet, automatically runs up AIM. Convenience more than anything. Available via Start -> Programs. Not needed

NBJ: Ahead Nero BackItUp backup program. Only required for if you have scheduled back-ups. Up to you

MoneyAgent: Part of MS Money. Available via Start -> Programs. Not needed

Go to Start | Run, and type in MSCONFIG, startup tab. Uncheck the ones you don't want, apply and restart.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eddie, thank you very much for the very thorough reply. I knew which programs that a lot of those files went to, but I didn't know what they did; thanks for explaining them. I'll go through and deselect what I don't want and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through and deselected all those that I did not need. I'm listening to some mp3s right now and it still continues to make the skipping sound. Could it be the integrated sound chip? I have a Philips sound card sitting around that is a couple years old, but used to be very nice. I wonder if installing that may make a difference. Any idea?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Super Moderator
37,540 Posts
It may be. Whats the full name of the card?

Control Panel | System. Device Manager. Under Sound will be the card. Also, rightclick and choose Properties, then Version tab. Whats the version?

eddie

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Maybe you just need to update the sound card drivers. If its integrated post the model of the motherboard.

Have you also tried another audio player like Winamp?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The audio chip is integrated into the motherboard. I have a Soyo Dragon Ultra Black Edition. It says CM18737/C3DX PCI Audio Device. I'll update the driver to see if that fixes the problem.

I haven't used Winamp in years. I didn't care for it that much. I didn't see why so many people prefer it over WMP. I like how I can rate my songs and easily create playlists on WMP.

·
Super Moderator
37,540 Posts
I'm looking at the list, and wondered if you could do something for me.

Go to Start | Run and type

services.msc

Then, locate SchedulingAgent

Now, rightclick and choose Properties. Then, from the drop down menu, choose Disable.

Close the Services, and go to Control Panel | Scheduled Tasks.

Is there one still in there, and if so does it still run if you click it? Also, did you set one up if its not there?

Plus, go to Start | Find Files, and type in

mstask.exe

Rightclick and choose Properties.

Whats the size of the file?

Then, click on Version, and let me know what the Company, Name and Version is.

eddie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eddie, there was no SchedulingAgent in my services.msc. There is a Task Scheduler and that is the only item with the word schedule in it.

I did a search for mstask.exe and had four results. They are all on my secondary partition in some program installation folders. Here are the specs you requested:
Microsoft Corp.
108KB

Microsoft Corp.
122KB

Microsoft Corp.
115KB

Microsoft Corp.
109KB

I was reading up on some other threads about people's pcs just locking up at random times. Some people recommended reinstalling everything one at a time to find out which piece of hardware is possibly causing the problems. I might just do that.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Super Moderator
37,540 Posts
Are any of the above in c:\Windows\System32 folder? Which folders are they all in?

In the Task Schedular in the Control panel, do you have anything scheduled?

The reason I'm asking this, is someone queried the mstask.exe,a s it wasn't in his XP. I asked a mate, and he said the same. This may/may not be the cause, but if it is this may be something we need for the future.

Thanks

eddie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Triple6, I downloaded that file off that link and it said the zip file is damaged, "bad CRC d37beb65 (should be 65ce7d13)". I tried downloading it twice and it always has the same problem. I then downloaded it off the mirror site and updated the driver, but either that mirror site has the old driver or it will not install the new driver. I would go through the steps, it would say it installed the new driver. I then checked the driver properties and it is still the old driver. Not sure what to do about that.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
None of them were in the c:\Windows\System32 folder. They were in some folders for installing Visio and AutoCAD.

Nope, don't have anything in scheduled in the Task Scheduler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have decided to go ahead and just do a complete reformat of my primary partition again. This time I am going to install programs and parts of hardware one by one to hopefully determine what is causing some problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I figured out the problem! I reinstalled each peice of hardware and software program one at a time. Even when I first had only the clean install of XP and had not installed any software or any PCI cards, I tested out playing some mp3s and it was skipping and also the Windows logon sound was skipping as well. I thought there must not really be anything I can do. Then I thought about the PCI Ultra ATA controller that my 160 GB Western Digital hard drive came with. DMA transfer mode was not available with that ATA controller when I was checking it out in the device manager properties. I turned off the pc, unplugged my hard drive from that controller and plugged it into my motherboard's IDE slot 1 and took out the PCI controller. Sure enough, that was it! My computer is faster now. The Windows loading sound is smooth, mp3s don't skip a beat even with several programs all being opened at once and continuously running. I'm so glad I got it figured out. Another thing was I picked up an ATI TV Wonder Pro at Best Buy this week for only $30 after rebates and I could not get it to install and work correctly. My pc would lock up all the time, even after this clean install. Now that I connected the hard drive directly to the motherboard, it seemed to fix all my problems! It took me a while to figure it out, but I'm so glad I did. Now, I got myself a TIVO-like PC and can get some more use out of my DVD burner than just backups that I've been using it for.

Later,
Justin

·
Super Moderator
37,540 Posts
Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll mark this one Solved for you, and may bookmark it for any future threads ;)

Oh, just as a side note, could you look and see if you have that mstask.exe again. Just curious :)

Thanks

eddie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.