Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed the microsoft patch for windows shutdown problem but on re-booting mouse is frozen and computer only boots into safe mode how do i un install it from safe mode thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
You can't uninstall it.

I don't know exatly how this patch operates, but you could reenable Fast Shutdown in the Registry.

I don;t know whether this will correct your problem, though.

Paste the bold into Notepad:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown]
"FastReboot"="1"

Save as fastReboot.reg, and doubleclick to import into the registry.

Reboot. Seee what happens.

Good luck,

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
If you mean the W98SE shutdown patch, see this and look for the section titled "How to Uninstall" about three quarters of the way down the page.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Your partially right about what the patch does but I believe it also installs some updated system files, too. I'd have to see the contents of the .inf file referred to in the acticle to know for sure.

BTW, Dave is still going to have problems unless his W98SE CD is loaded on the hardrive because he most likely won't have access to the CDRom in SafeMode unless the real mode drivers are loaded.

How to Get Access to CDRom Drive in SafeMode

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
It would if all the patch did was change some registry entries. Boot into SafeMode and do this

Start>Find>Files, key in 239887UN.INF and press enter. Once it's found, right click on it and select Open. Now copy/paste it's contents to a reply here.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
At this point it probably can't hurt to try a registry restore. On the Startup menu choose "Safe Mode-Command Prompt Only" and type in

scanreg /restore

Restore the registry dated today and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.