OCZ Blade Edition 2x2GB Memory
ASUS M4A78-EM AM2+ Motherboard
Thermaltake Thoughpower 600W PSU
Antec 900 Two Case
Seagate 750GB 7200 RMP 32MB Sata II Hard Disk
Running Windows XP SP3 OS at the moment

PC is mostly for Gaming
Should I install Windows 7?
Will it improve my PC performance / graphics in games?
is Windows 7 Bug free?

Thx in advance :]

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Tough question ???
About 88% of those testing W7 .. Can't wait to spend big bucks for it.
(They are also spending a lot of their time trying to debug it or figure it out)

I hear that it runs most games great.
If you have a spare Hard Drive ... I would install it and start getting used to it (it's a lot like Vista)

I think it's a little early to make it your primary operating system.
A lot of users are beating on this horse, trying to get it to gallop .. before it's born.

It's supposed to be able to run on about any system ..
but there's some peripheral software/drivers that may have to catch up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
By all means try Windows 7. It's an amazing OS. There are so many great new features that making the switch worth it.

These include:

• A massively improved user interface.
  • Quick Search - Just by hitting the windows key on your keyboard and typing what your looking for Windows quickly populates all documents or programs that are on your system.
  • Improved Performance and Graphics
  • Home Group - This gives you the ability to quickly and easily network all your computers together. All you have to do is give each computer the 'passcode' to share any documents or folders that your specify.
  • Tons of other features that I could go on and on about.

Find more features here: Windows 7 Features

Like Noyb said, you might be better off dual booting with a separate hard drive. The only reason I would recommend this is, because Windows 7 that is available right now is only the Release Candidate. Otherwise I would recommend upgrading your main OS. You should use two hard drive just for simplicity. You could install both OS's on one drive, but it takes more work.

The benefits of dual booting is that if you do not like it you could just go back to your old system. The only caveat is that if you ended up removing Windows 7 later you will have to edit your boot.ini to remove Windows 7 from the boot screen.

You need to also make sure that your system is compatible. Normally if your computer is already running vista you should be able to run Windows 7.

On the other issues the Noyb has stated, I have to disagree with. Most of the major bugs have been worked out. I have installed it on multiple machines (that were able to run vista) and I have had zero problems. Although there has been a memory leak bug associated with Windows 7 and certain AMD processors when the user runs checkdisk. But this is a relatively minor issue that should be worked out by actual consumer release date.

As for drivers, if your computer hardware is compatible with Vista it's compatible with Windows 7. You shouldn't have any problem with drivers. The difference between the OS release between XP to Vista and Vista to 7 is that Vista was a complete rewrite of the core code of the operating system and that meant that hardware that worked on XP would not work on Vista without driver updates from manufacturers. Fotunately that same problem will not happen with Windows 7 since it is the same underling core code as Vista.

You can check the compatability of your computer before installing Windows 7 just to make sure by using the Windows 7 upgrade advisor which you can download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you use your system for business and work. I would wait till the first service pack comes out for Windows 7. Before and when any OS comes out, it has to many bugs. This would be fine for a spare PC to play around with.

Why put the extra work on your back now and notice that some of your software will not run on Windows 7, plus no patches for some of the software are out yet, W7 is still in beta form.

If you have Vista now, why go to W7?

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have to think of all the other software that is install on your system, not just the hardware. If you use some older software, it might have a problem using W7.

BTW - Vista has the Quick Search now.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
You said you have XP SP3 .. Are you happy with it ???
If it ain't broke .. Don't fix it :D

Personally .. I think it's all been downhill after XP SP2 .. (I'm not a gamer)
But only you can decide depending on your Usage/Expectations.

The W7 rtm (release to manufacturing) version is available to some now .. and to the OEM manufactures.

I have the W7 rtm x64 version .. and I see several things I think need improving.
There are several things I can't do in W7 that XP can do .. But let's don't go there.

The key message here is ... Put it on a separate HDD and play with it ... It's not born yet.
Maybe by early>mid 2010 .. The rest of the world will catch up and M$ will patch some of the bugs/annoyances I see.
Then you can decide.

FYI .. Since you said you're a Gamer ... Here's a current W7 game list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.