Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hello My roomate has created a folder on his desktop called "music1", and the permissions are set for full access/shared etc on his computer. I can access many other shared folders on his computer with my pc no problem. I can even listen to other music files on his computer in other shared folders. For some reason or other I cannot play his music files or copy his music files when trying to access the music1 folder on his desktop. If i'm thinking correctly the root folder must be shared to allow access to subfolders, but in this case...the shared folder (music1) is the root folder that was created on his desktop. any ideas?

win xp home os's

thks.

update: also I have discovered that if I remove the read only permission>hit apply>ok then when I reopen it the "read only box is checked again"

i deselect it again, and again, and again..only for it to reappear again.

stumped.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turns out that the folder in question above is a download store for a p2p application, and for some reason or other, even though I have set permissions to share that folder accross the network, I can only see the files and not access them. I have tried every option imaginable to get them to play on other computers in our home network. So for a temp fix..., I just copied the files and placed them in another network shared folder and hey...I can play them on any other node now.
A temp fix, but still looking for a reason I cant share the contents of that particular folder. (view only, no read or execute (see above)).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, Ive been an Oracle sequel report writer for the last 2 years, utilizing sql plus mostly, and excel to create custom reports for financial institutions, while also managing and troubleshooting propietary financial loan files in a Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 Environment, and have taken Several Hardware and Neworking courses (Most recently completed A+ and Networking+ Courses and am now ready for the tests...whew) (transcender, exam cram, cbt nuggets etc have been my guides, completed cbt courses at my company (thank god they pay for that))

Now im enrolled in a data modeling course.... and also hope to complete the oracle certified associate exam as well.

Oh well... Ive just never seen that happen to a folder before when I set all the share permissions accordingly.

I would like to purchase xp pro. It seems to offer more flexiblily, options and security in regards to shares than xp home by far.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just so you know, the reason you couldn't share/access those files is probably because of one simple thing. The folder in question is located in the program's own folder, which in turn is located in the Programs Folder in your C:/ drive.

Files located in either the Windows folder and the Programs Folder are NOT allowed to be shared throughout a network for any reason, in my experience. There might be a way to get around it, but I haven't had the urge to try.

Tell your friend to change the folder that his music program downloads to, and make it in the "My Music" folder in My Documents.

Quick and easy.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right good advice. I was thinking that prior to my posting but I ran a search for the folder name on my desktop which is the default share for a p2p (limewire)application. So also I double checked to see if that folder was placed as a sub directory in the limewire directory on C. Its not there. Im therefore assuming that there are "maybe" other parameters for the folder that is shared on my desktop, and is therefore linked to another file in my limewire (program files) folder or one of its subs. (?) which might be causing a conflict.

Another interesting thought is for instance.... I have other independentt folders on my desktop that i created (not linked to any apps whatsoever) and set one of them as a share also. I realized that if i deselected the "read only checkbox" and hit apply> ok etc..., when I opened the folder to check the permissions the "read only checkbox" reappears checked. hmmm. (over and over again) I have never heard of such limitations with newly created folders on "the desktop", this is either a sys error or I'm assuming its just "the way it is" for desktop shares.

Anyways.... thanks for chatting with me civily about it. Other folks as above just dont have common courtesy and come accross as know it alls i guess.

I wonder if there is a tech on earth who was never joked at even once, for not knowing something by one of their mentors or seniors, that thought they should have known something in particular.

Granted I have only a few years of exp, but Im striving to reach the goal of networking expert. I love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.