Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have XP Pro sp2. I opened the task manager to see if I could see why my computer is running so slow. I added up all the RAM listed and it's no where near the gig of RAM I have, but my performance meter is constantly at 100% and all I have open are my internet security (Trend Micro Systems) and 4 IE7 windows. I have defragged, uninstalled programs I wasn't using, still I can't do anything. Little history: I had Norton Internet Security 2006. This is when I noticed that I couldn't open hardly anything without locking up my pc. Called their tech support, they tell me its memory leakage....call the manufacturer. Manufacturer says Norton is fulla crap, so I deleted it got a different one. But I'm still having the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
What specific service is using 100% of the processor time? It's normal for the System Idle Process to be using 90% or more, since that's the place you go when there's nothing to do.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
And Internet Explorer has a bit of a bad habit of gobbling up the RAM. Especially if you have more than one window up...I've seen this on my own system, so that probably has something to do with it. My memory sucks...I'm trying to remember something else...also, when your CPU is at 100%, when and if it does go down, note which of the processes switches gears and gobbles up any other resources that also make it go straight to 100%

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I look at the amt of RAM, it's less than 500mb. Whe nI look at my performance meter it's at 100% the majority of it is red. There are no (visible) services running really high. IE7 is currently over 100,000k = 2 windows. Its taking forever to type this. I should be able to open other things but I cannot. How can I post a copy of a print screen.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
OneLuv said:
When I look at the amt of RAM, it's less than 500mb. Whe nI look at my performance meter it's at 100% the majority of it is red. There are no (visible) services running really high. IE7 is currently over 100,000k = 2 windows. Its taking forever to type this. I should be able to open other things but I cannot. How can I post a copy of a print screen.
print screen/start/all programs/accessories/paint/edit/paste/save (jpeg format, I think is best), then attach to post...

some slow start-up times are attributable to this...
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2006/08/31/453100.aspx

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ummmm that was english, eh? Something to shoot for at least. I want to backup my system and do a fresh install......of everything, including system restore points after every program/partition my hard drive so that the OS is all alone...stuff like that. Problem is, I'm so scared. Could just be a coincidence, but my original HDD was 80gigs, I installed Norton Ghost and started the backup process....it said restart to begin the backup....and I got that black screen with missing os....yes I almost died. Lost all my videos of my daughter, <sighs> I still have the 80g HDD, is it any good? After the crash I didn't think it could be trusted.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ctfmon is one for sure. It's an advanced languages module that has been activated by IE7. To stop go to: Control Panel>Regional and language Options>Languages>Details>Advanced, and check the box that says"Turn off advanced text services." Sysinternals makes a free utility called Process Explorer that can tell you what Services are running under each instance of scvhost. Just mouse over the scvhost entry and a small info box pops up. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx (download link at bottom of page). Before making changes to "Services," (Under Administrative tools) I suggest a quick read: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm Manual is the "safe" setting for Services. That way if you or Windows needs the Service it can be started, but it won't start with Windows at boot and run continuously in the background. (Unless needed by the System). Is it common for you to have two instances of IE open? With the new tabs it doesn't seem necessary.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
OneLuv said:
ummmm that was english, eh? Something to shoot for at least. I want to backup my system and do a fresh install......of everything, including system restore points after every program/partition my hard drive so that the OS is all alone...stuff like that. Problem is, I'm so scared. Could just be a coincidence, but my original HDD was 80gigs, I installed Norton Ghost and started the backup process....it said restart to begin the backup....and I got that black screen with missing os....yes I almost died. Lost all my videos of my daughter, <sighs> I still have the 80g HDD, is it any good? After the crash I didn't think it could be trusted.
So is this a new problem altogether now?

Try slaving it in another machinet o see if you can view files.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Outside of speedupmypc, the others are system, explorer.exe and ieexplore.exe, and taskmanager.exe that you underlined. Even though they are using that much, it's only half of the RAM I have.
I do remember when having that memory problem with Norton, they had me do something to make my pagefile really huge, how to undo that, or could that be a problem?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
question about the 80g HDD, was wondering if its still any good after it crashed. Still scared to use Norton Ghost.
Note: Tried to post different problems on different threads, but Mr. Bandit told me I was creating a mess. So if something comes out of the blue...this is why.

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Do not confuse the memory usage with the % CPU usage (which is the critical factor)

Other core Windows functions use the RAM, the CPU usage (98% in the screenshot) is a problem.

It appears that "SpeedUpmyPC" in your case is slowing down your PC as it is using a full 29% of the entire CPU resource.

Hardly a speedup.....

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You beat me to it! :D I was going to mention that "speedup" program. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Im sorry Oneluv..if you post all over the place,,,,than you are posting what might be valueable clues here and there. If someone is to help than what choice do they have but to chase the clues you leave. A person who is attempting to help you is not looking here for your posts other than in the thread you first started. You would not want that person to miss the awnser to the whole problem just because you posted your latest clue somewhere else? From the beginning to the end a person who helps you cannot see your computer...nor can that person see everything you put in other places without looking around. I admit my use of language leaves much to be desired and I probably should have explained better than I did. Excuse me.

I hope this explanation helps you understand.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/530355-need-help-interpreting-startup-item.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/530387-knockin-more-help.html

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=530367

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sure does (y). You are good Mr. Bandit. I just got really geeked cuz I found some place with people who were willing to help. I have been having these problems (some not related to the posted problems) so I kinda felt I had reached an oasis in my desert. I have tough internet feelinz from years of chattin:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im looking at this process explorer, and everytime I open a page, or my email program searches for emails, My internet security processes go way up. Even Avg's AntiSpyware guard.exe goes abot 38% and it's switching between those. My email program has stopped looking for more emails, but the trend processes and the guard.exe still has me maxed out. Would it help to get a bigger processor? Mines is a 2.3Ghz celeron, i was thinking of upgrading to a pent 4? Ummmm...why are those two software processess maxin out my CPU? I was about to report that it seems I could open some stuff, but as I began opening and closing explorer windows, even now, I'm typing this one...they are wiggin out, and the programs are not updating or anything. Is it a way I can limit their access to my CPU? This was why I was using SpeedupMyPC, because I could go in and reduce their access to my CPU.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Your log looks great. There is a lot in it but no badware I could find. I would reccomend disabling things one by one until you hit the program thats causing you trouble. I would start with MSN messenger I have that one mess up on me too. It could be that you have a virus, since you have at least once scanned your computer online you know how, Another scan would be an idea to try. Unless the one you did was really recent.

ALso there is system restore,,,Have you tried that? Keep in mind if it is a virus system restore will not remove it.

Is there anything I ve asked you to do that need detailed instructions?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.