Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently moved back home with my parents. 2 of my sisters have laptops, as do i and wish to get onto the router i put onto my parents desktop a long while back. but i forgot the network key. how do i go about looking it up through the router?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm assuming i did. but this computer used to be on it before i moved out. now it won't auto-connect or anything and i think it all got reset to default. i have no idea how to find it. it's a linksys computer. i tried typing in my default gateway IP into searchbar but every password/username i try to get into that page to see it doesn't work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they shouldn't have. nobody messes around with anything other than the parents desktop but shouldn't have touched the router.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
You have to log into the router to get the encryption key. If no one knows the password to the router, you'll have to reset it to factory defaults and then re-configure it and everyone's computer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how do i go about restting it and re-configuring? i hit the reset button in the back of the router, as well and unplugging it for 30 seconds...but idk what else to do.idk how to reconfigure it or anything. it's a linksys wireless-g model wrt54g

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you. that was a help. i have now made the router reset so it's open and anybody can auto-connect. i would like to make the router secure again if possible i just don't know how to set it up, and the instructions don't help. when i run the original disc that came with the router that also asks for a password halfway through the setup...idk what it is lol i tried admin (the default pass) and everything else i can think of. i can connect wirelessly now though so i'm quite happy :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol i understand what you're saying. i don't look at it like it's hacking as i bought the router, and at one time i had it set up. my parents have NO clue about computers so are no help at setting it back up. but i do see where you could be coming from so i'll just let this topic die. at least i was able to get the router reset, i'll prolly just have to call linksys.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
It is ok to ask how to Reset a router and how to secure it.

You don't need to load the software for the router to configure the security, access the router's homepage and use the Wireless tab to configure the Basic Wireless Settings: Setting up the Network key and the Wireless Security tab to configure the security mode.
Use WPA2 for the security mode, if it is available.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to access the routers homepage your talking about typing 192.168.1.1 into my address bar correct? that's all my research has shown me. but when i do that it asks for a username and password. i tried all of the passwords i use and even left the username blank and "admin" into the password like linksys said to do. nothing worked. or did you mean go to linksys.com or something there for options?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woohoo i got it all set up now.

for some reason it wasn't working directly after i reset the router but i just retried it and it worked for me. got a pass set on there again. thank you very much for your guys's help!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.