Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my linksys router model WRT54G the cisco systems light keeps flashing every few seconds and i can only connect to the internet when the light is on ive tired resetting the router but that isn't workin what can i do?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Sounds like it's either losing the connection from the modem, or the router is dying.

What's the exact make/model of the modem? If you connect directly to the modem, do you lose the connection that way?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well after i reset it the router is fine, then i change the password for the router so that other people cant access it after i do that the router light starts flashing and so does my connection and i have a linksys wireless-G broadband router with 4- port switch model WRT54G ver.6

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That's the drivers on your machine, you go to the machine manufacturer's support site (or NIC manufacturer for add-on products) and download and install the latest drivers for your exact make/model and hardware revision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.